Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Horrible Battery Life

Up until a week ago my Curve would go about 4 days on a charge. Now it won;t last 24 hours.  I have 3 different batteries now, 1 fresh out of the package and they all have the same life, less than 24 hours.  There are no applications running other than the 5 that are always running and there is nothing open in the browser.  Any ideas?
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Horrible Battery Life

Actually (in my experience) battery life of 24 hours is quite typical.

I am not sure you are doing anything out of the ordinary.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
That 24 hours is without a single phone call, no use at all, really, other than checking messages a couple times.  It used to last 4 times as long.  Actually it's probably more like 8 hours, because it auto shuts off from 10:30p to 7am. Probably should have been clearer in my original post.
Message Edited by jglanglois on 12-23-2008 10:56 AM

At what point of battery depletion percentage do you charge your battery? In other words, how low does it get?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Since this started I keep it in the charger at work till fully charged. I haven't been charging at home and by the next morning it's dead.

Don't let it die. Full and constant battery depletion is not recommended for these battery types.

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/05/20/battery-use-tips-for-your-maximum-battery-life/

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
Took my phone off the charger an hour ago, no calls, didn't even look at email, battery now at 85%. Brand new battery, took it out of the package yesterday. I have read all the various tips for battery life and yes, in the past I was not constantly charging. However that doesn't explain why battery life would go from 4 days to 7 hours, esp. with a brand new battery which went straight from the package to the charger.
Message Edited by jglanglois on 12-23-2008 01:27 PM

Ok, I hear ya.

Take my advice on this--give it 4-5 days of normal use, charging when you get 30-50% battery, all the way back to 100%

Don't let it die down to 15%. After those few days, see what you get on a full charge.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks, I'll try that.  I really think there is something wrong with the phone, because this occured virtually overnight.  Appreciate your help J.
New Contributor

Did you find a solution for this - I have the exact same problem.

After 15 months my Blackberry runs warm to the touch, seems to constantly be displaying the GPRS sync arrows and runs down the battery inside a couple of hours.  I haven't changed a thing.