Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HotkeyManager VS QuickLaunch?

[ Edited ]

If you guys are a BlackBerry user just like me, a few applications are must-haves. And a BlackBerry keyboard shortcut app is certainly one of them. If you have ever made a phone call with a single keystroke on your BB, you will know what I am saying. It’s extremely easy, and can save you a lot of time.

Personally I have been using QuickLaunch for a few months until lately I switch to a new app from eMobiStudio called HotkeyManager(BTW I am the tester). For the past few years, I have been using BB Curve 8300, 8900 and now Bold 9700. And I’ve become  a super fan of BB with a solid keypad, rather than those with a virtual one, like BB Storm.

Both HotkeyManager and QuickLaunch are top rated BB apps that enable quickly launching BB apps, phone calls and system utilities. The only difference lies in that while QuickLaunch is well designed for BB Storm Series, HotkeyManager is a better choice for BlackBerry with a solid Keypad.

On my experience, the followings are some of HotkeyManager’s advantages over 'QuickLaunch'. (But most importantly, now I can take much more advantage out of my BB 9700’s keypad!)
1. A maximum of 52 hotkeys while only 26 supported by QuickLaunch.
2. Hotkey ‘Q’ for self-launch and no requirement for extra left/right convenience key, which QuickLaunch requires.
3. As a lightweight application, HotkeyManager saves 30- 50% system memory and power as compared with QuickLaunch.
4. HotkeyManager is simple and easy to use, while QuickLaunch is much more complicated.
5. HotkeyManager costs USD 3.99 (50% OFF SALE), compared to USD 4.99 for QuickLaunch.

EDIT: Personal Info Removed & text removed

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: HotkeyManager VS QuickLaunch?

first of all, I would like to thank you for doing a comparison article between two applications. This is what really lacks in my opinion on all websites that talk about BlackBerry technologies.

I have some comments about Quick Launch (I use it on my Storm2)

about item 2 : hotkey. On a Storm device, the hotkey can be either a convenience key or simply a shortcut on the home screen. so there is no specific drawback compared to HotKeyManager.

about item 3 : so how much is it for both ? I never took the time to install an application that tells how much memory is used by a given running application.

about item 4 : I don't know, I found that QL was very easy to configure.

About item 5 : I think it is not relevant since I bought QL at 2.99. All BlackBerry applications get the 50% discount one day of the other, so it's just a question of waiting a few weeks.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: