Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hourglass Wait Time & User Tools CD doesn't load.

Hey all,

I'm extremely new to this form of phone, and have been impressed with the capabilities of my storm thus far. However, two problems keep occurring and any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

1) Within the last week, when I go to resume using my storm (either from it being locked or idle), I have to wait while the hourglass ticks over. I get the problem if it's a break of 5 minutes or even an hour since I last used my storm.

2) The User tools CD that came with my storm doesn't load. And I have checked on the website looking for the software/tools to download but have gotten lost in the sheer amount & variety of stuff that's on the page. 

Cheers,

mb

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Hourglass Wait Time & User Tools CD doesn't load.

Hi and welcome to the Forums and welcome to the world of BB's!

1) hourglass -- do you mean a black screen, then a white screen, then a white screen with a very light blue progress bar at the bottom -- all of which have a little analog clock-thingy in the center? If so, that's a reboot. And yes it takes a long time.

Ideas - -make sure you are on the most recent production OS for your carrier. The Desktop Software will help you do that...oh wait, we still have item 2 to deal with!

Other ideas -- do a batt-pull reboot on a regular basis as a preventive measure. The device suffers from memory leaks and such that degrade performance over time. Rebooting once a day is not considered too much at present. To do so, with power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then insert the battery and replace the cover. Power up and wait patiently through that long reboot process.

Another idea -- are you on VZW? If so, it is reported that removing the SIM can reduce the instances of random reboots. The SIM is not necessary on VZW.

2)  There have indeed been reports of bad media distributed for the Desktop software. Your basic choice is language -- narrow that down and you are left with just one choice -- media sync or not (I think...the darn page won't load for me right now!). Some have recommended first installing the Modem drivers, then the Desktop Software.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for your speedy & very helpful reply! 

1)The hourglass just occurs randomly on my homepage, or in the middle of composing a message or while I'm using the calendar. I am familiar with the reboot, and have just done one now. Hopefully this will prevent those memory leaks you speak of.

2) I'll have a poke around the software page & will look at the latest OS (4.7 I think?) for the storm. But you're right, the page won't load for some reason.

Cheers,

mb

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are welcome!

1) Ah...so the actual hourglass. Then it indeed sounds like progressive slugishness...which the reboot does indeed cure. (And, when done regularly, prevents!)

2) Here's a link to another post of mine that called out the actual entries on the download page.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&message.id=27406#M27406

But -- this information is not for the Storm OS...rather, for the desktop software (yes, 4.7 is correct).  The current Storm OS version is carrier dependent -- VZW being (still!!) on .75.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................