Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hourglass takes forever to go away on Pearl

Frequently the hourglass pops up on my Pearl and renders the phone/email etc... useless.  I end up pulling the battery and starting over.  Any suggestions to fix???

Also, after the last time I updated my Software, and I went through Enterprise Activation with my companies BES Server, I was left with several days of emails that I can't get rid of.  Any suggestions?

Re: Hourglass takes forever to go away on Pearl

same here!  driving me nuts!  i pull the battery out once a day.  also, i keep getting "app error 552 - reset" - that is killing me.
New Contributor

i have an 8830 with the additional memory card.  I do not have a lot of extra software; just a password keeper, 3 card games and some news feeds.  My hourglass comes up frequently also, but almost never more than 15 seconds except for when i turn it on.  I go to *228 once per month.
New Contributor

Sorry what is *228?

New Contributor

I have also run into this issue when I try to log onto the internet. I have to take out the battery to get the hourglass to go away. Is this a glitch in the phone?
New Contributor

It will help to do battery pulls on occasion just to clear out logs, cache memories, etc.

If you're having this problem a lot, make sure that you've moved all of your media (ringtones, music, video, pics) to the Media Card.  Clear the Cache on your browsers, adjust the memory reserved for pics.  That should clean up many of the issues. 

Contributor

Try changing the default location for pictures taken. I've set mine to default to the memory card saving a lot of space on the phone to allow for other more important things.
~John

The hourglassing happens when you are running out of memory. Removing the battery clears the cache, allowing you to temporarily free up space. Try uninstalling/deleting an app or picture or two, and see if it improves the speed.
New Contributor

Turning the Pearl off, removing the battery, waiting about 30 seconds, and then replacing the battery works well to reset the Pearl when the hourglass is appearing too often and staying visible too long. Another solution is to download an application called Soft Reset (www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software) and install it on the Pearl. I use this frequently. When you click on it, it performs a reset of the operating system that works much like removing and replacing the battery but is a heck of a lot easier. I have no connection to the programmer or the website where I found it but am simply passing along information that I found useful. The site lets you download via the desktop loader or over the air (OTA).
New Contributor

I don't know if you found an answer to your orphaned emails yet but the same thing happened to me. I found that you can clear this by going into the desktop sofware and choosing the Backup and Restore option. The details are available at the blackberry site at the following URL: 

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10167