Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

GM1
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How GPS works on CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones

[ Edited ]

Hi ERShotty,

4. Select "Qualcomm" under the mode drop menu
5. Click setup and change the port to com4

Com4 didn't work for me for some reason, When i checked my device manager it looks like COM4 is RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)... imgoing to try this on my vista... is there anywebsite someone can point me to for UniCDMA 2.1?

Thanks

-GM1

Message Edited by GM1 on 02-04-2009 11:21 PM
New Contributor
My Device: Telus Blackberry Storm 9530

All the links and all the troubleshooting you'll need are in the threads of the 2 links that I posted.

GM1
Contributor

Thanks ERShotty,

There were a couple of things that didn't work but after googling for a long time i found the fix.

Thanks again for links =)!

Visitor

I have an Alltel 8830 World Edition with poor GPS reception unless I am overseas and then it rarely works.  My SIM card allows the phone to work (in 6 countries so far) but I am really disappionted with poor GPS service, especially in foriegn country when I really need it.  Any suggestions on why it works so poorly?

I am looking into purchasing a blackberry storm through verizon. before i do i want to get some answers to some questions.  Maybe im in a unique situation but need some help.  i will use the blackberry for 7 months while in the USA.  january of 2010 i will move to Turkey.  the phones i am looking at are all quad band gsm and CDMA since CDMA is not used in Turkey.

1)  I want swichout sim cards and use a turkcell sim card and their service there.  WIll i need to unlock the phone to do this?  is this easy to do?  does it cost?  our will verizon do it for free?

2) I want to use the GPS function in Turkey but have been told the GPS only works with a verizon navigator.  is this true?

3) can the GPS fuction even if i never use  wireless provider in Turkey?

4) What about GPS maps for turkey?  where do i get them?  download them? buy them?

5) Can garmin maps like Navcity work somehow on the blackberry gps system?

6) does the GPS function work like a typical GPS handheld or is it suing cell tower triangualtion?

thanks for any help you can provide.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello, you are talking about the Storm 9530.

1) yes you will have to have your device unlocked by Verizon. Just call them, I do not know if they charge you for that. then you will insert the SIM card from Turkey. That will enable you to make/receive phone calls and send/receive SMS.
If you want more, you have to subscribe to a "Blackberry Data Plan" with your Turkish carrier. Be sure to choose a carrier that sells BlackBerry devices.

2) I am in France and the GPS works fine with BlackBerry Maps.
If you use Google Maps, it can either use the GPS (I did not succeed but I am not patient) or use GSM triangulation (which is very efficient if you are in an area that has many GSM antennas, for example in a city).

3) no.

4) BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps work "on the fly" : you do not need to download maps on your device. You can buy a GPS application for BlackBerry Storm.

5) I do not know.

6) yes but it can do both.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

I have just got the new 8900 here in the UK on Orange and my maps function CONSTANTLY searches for a satelite! My friend has the same phone and doesn't have a problem.

Whats going on!!!?

Rubbish

New Contributor

I want to upgrade to a U.S.Cellular BlackBerry 8830 Smartphone, World Edition. USM’s site says: “For carriers like U .S. Cellular, the location technology, Global Positioning System (GPS), is built into the wireless phone..”

I take this to mean that the phone has a truly independent GPS receiver that will know its location when the phone is NOT connected to a cellular network.
Is that true?

If “Yes”, is there a way that the phone can export its Lat/Long via Bluetooth?... (for use by a tablet computer displaying aviation charts?)
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

there is a built-in GPS but it relies on the mobile phone network. You can have both A-GPS and cellular triangulation, and depending on your maps application, one or both can be used (take for example Google Maps).

there are applications that allow indeed to transfert the coordinates via BlueTooth to another device.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

So here we are at Nov 2009,  I got switched to a Telus 8330 Curve from an 8830 Worldphone this summer.  The 8830's GPS was working fine, but the 8330's has not worked yet.  I'm running OS 4.5.0.160.  Other than the reprogramming hack mentioned previously, do we have a proper fix for the issue, or credible ETA for one?

posted by DigitalFrog