Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: How GPS works on CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones

Verizon 8330 & 8130 Now Getting BlackBerry Maps GPS Love?

http://www.berryreview.com/2008/12/05/verizon-8330-8130-now-getting-blackberry-maps-gps-love/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

yep, this is why im thinking, it states that the new 4.5 os update comes out and it fixes it. They state the firmware within the release patches something...

That means the same could be happening for us? Telus is taking so long because they are trying to get it fixed? 

New Contributor

I just bought an 8330 (CDMA) yesterday. It runs OS version 4.5.0.56. I was promised GPS capabilities by my provider (MTS, Manitoba Canada). As many in this thread have pointed out GPS does not work. I've tried BB Maps, Garmin Mobile, Blip, and Google Maps, none can acquire satellite signals making GPS useless. There was no extra GPS service offered by my provider as suggested from Telus.

Now, I was talked out of switching carriers for an iPhone because - 1) I needed good push email capability and 2) GPS functions. Why are you advertising GPS functionality with your device and not providing it? I have no problem returning it tomorrow and moving to an iPhone for good. Give me a good reason to stay with Blackberry. Kudos! Thanks!

Guru I

hello,

your blackberry device is able to do GPS, provided that feature is not intentionally lowered by your carrier. In that respect, advertising about GPS is legitimate for RIM. You should check with your carrier, and ask them to provide a solution for you to be able to use that feature.

About iPhone devices, there are still many differences between them and BlackBerry devices. The pushmail is not anymore since Google Mail and Yahoo Mail have upgraded their IMAP4 mail servers. Meaning you can have near-reattime emails on any device using an IMAP4 capable client. But iPhone still has things not so fine : no landscape keyboard for emails, synchronization of too many contacts between GoogleMail contacts and your iPhone, no copy/paste...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
GM1
Contributor

i upgraded to the 4.5 OS but it still doesn't work.....

anyone with any luck recently?

-GM

Guru I

GM1 wrote:

i upgraded to the 4.5 OS but it still doesn't work.....

anyone with any luck recently?

-GM

Has anyone told you the GPS would work with OS 4.5 ?

GM1
Contributor

There was no harm in trying. Based on other forums, 4.5 worked for other providers.

Don't have to be rude you know.

Guru I

It's not a question of being rude, it's just a Verizon limitation. Please red the following article from the public knowledge base:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13397
Start GPS Navigation option in BlackBerry Maps is not available

GM1
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not on Verizon, I'm on telus.

Edit: add: Having the same problem as the rest of the people who posted before me.

Message Edited by GM1 on 02-04-2009 06:54 AM
New Contributor
My Device: Telus Blackberry Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

Here are links where a solution to this ongoing problem has been solved.

I experienced this problem on my Curve, then when I upgraded to the Storm. These solutions have worked on the Curve, Storm, Pearl, 8830... basically all CDMA blackberries on Verizon and Telus, as it FULLY unlocks the GPS, with reports of people with Curves getting 8-11 sats indoors!!!

With my Storm, I exchanged it for a 3rd time, as I was getting intermittent GPS signal. The GPS was working flawlessly until I experienced another "GPS blackout" I decided that there has to be something wrong with my account provisioning or something along those lines.

I decided to figure out where the error was occuring using the event log and after clearing it and configuring it to monitor GPS only, and running BB maps. I found this line of code:

severity:0 type:2 app:Location API data:Application must set valid PDE IP and Port to get Location

After digging around on the internet, posts eventually led me to QPST, which is a utility that programs the PDE IP and Port values.

The GPS errors seem to be not hardware related, but rather programming, as one's location is based on a valid PDE IP and Port.

This method involves using QPST, which is a diagnostic tool which reads/writes information to the actual Chipset. It looks like both RIM and Telus, or Verizon, didn't fully program the GPS into the chipset. This fix is easy if followed step by step.

The Links are:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1490760&page=1&pp=15

and

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/storm-gps-fix-telus-148687/

Credit: Unibomber from Howardforums and Crackberry.

Message Edited by ERShotty on 02-04-2009 12:27 PM
Message Edited by ERShotty on 02-04-2009 08:51 PM