Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: torc 9800
My Carrier: tre.it

How I can activate the tethering function on my Torc 9800

I'm tring to activate the tethering function on my torc 9800 to allow tomtom Go500 to get access to internet for traffic information. I'm not able to find a place explaing how I can set up my Torc 9800. the current version of Torc Software is 6.0 - pck 695. Thanks in advance for any help,

Orlando

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How I can activate the tethering function on my Torc 9800

Tethering, the act of allowing internet access to your PC or laptop using your phone's wireless network connection, is set up with BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Plug your phone in to your PC and open BDS.  Once your phone has been recognized, look at the top left for Internet Options or similar.  That's where you'll find the control panel to do this.

NOTE:  Tethering might not be allowed on your account.  Some carriers do not allow this feature and if it can be proven that you've done it against your contract, your service could be cut off.  Please make sure tethering is permitted on your account before proceeding.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: torc 9800
My Carrier: tre.it

Thanks BillJ,

I was aware of the procedure you suggested me. Indeed I use it when I want to connect my PC to internet in any location where I can not access to internet via ADSL line.

My problem is that I need to use BB 9800 acting as a modem for a navigator tomtom GO500 letting it to get traffic information from internet. So I should connect BB9800 via bluetooth to GO500 and than activate "tethering" on BB9800 letting GO500 get access to internet. In this case I can not use BDS as I do on the PC.

I don't know if I was able to esplain the problem (sorry for my basic english!!)

Any guess ?

Thanks again 

Orlando

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm not sure if that's possible but if your phone is tethered to your PC and the GPS unit was attached to the PC via USB, I wonder if that would work.

My knowledge of tethering is somewhat limited so I'll let someone else take over from here.

Cheers. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.