Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2

Re: How To Backup Your BlackBerry

thank you I have backed up. Where can I find my sms messages. What I am trying to do is get a print out of messages for a particular contact. Thank you.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

EllieMoomin wrote:
thank you I have backed up. Where can I find my sms messages. What I am trying to do is get a print out of messages for a particular contact. Thank you.

All of your data is now contained in a proprietary formatted file with either IPD or BBB extension (depending on the version of the Desktop Software you used). This file has only one native purpose...to be used as the source of restore to a BB.

There are 3rd party PC apps that can parse the file and present it in human readable format for you...a few seconds on Google and I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: none

I wish to say this post is awesome.Really came up with good info.I appreciate you.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Thank you...and good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2

Excellent thank you, it worked a treat.
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

You are welcome...enjoy!

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-mobile

How can I do a fast backup with my Q10, like on my bold 9900 of the calendar, textmessages etc? I tought I did that back up with Blackberry protect.

Hall of Famer III

Hello,

At present, BB Protect does not provide backup for BB10, and hence the only backup processes that apply are LINK and direct copy of files via Mass Storage Mode. Further discussion should be held in the BB10 section of this site (this area being the Legacy section).

Good luck!

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-mobile

Okay thanks for the info

That's bad, the newest phone and no back up. A back up with your phone works easier without putting you Q10 on your computer, open link etc etc. 

A thing to work on for Blackberry,

Hall of Famer III

Indeed...but, as this thread discusses, while BB Protect is a perfectly fine component of a proper backup procedure, it should never (IMHO) be considered the sole component. The issues with what Protect backs up (being a very tiny subset of the total) will I expect remain even if/when BlackBerry includes it for BB10. Hence, my recommendations will remain the same if/when it exists for BB10.