Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: bell

Re: How To Backup Your BlackBerry

ok i did a software update.... and now i lost all my contacts... its shaded gray and the stupid desktop manager wont put my contacts back into my phone... if i use a third party software to look at the saved .bbb file it shows i have 800+ contacts..... how do i enable the "contacts" in a restore????  this has stressed the living hell out of me... i did a full backup before i did the software update... then when i did the software update it asked me to do a back up of the phone and i said yes , i see a couple of back up files.... but when i custom select what i want backed up... contacts is never selectable..... why make a software that doesnt back up my contacts... this is complete you know what!!!! please give me a solution... and im not downloading and paying 20-30 bucks for some software so i can open and save them! this should be automatic in the blackberry software.....

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble...I do hope you are not angry at me directly, for I have zero control over any of your problems...refer please:

Hopefully, this information will be of use to you.

As per what you've said, you have not "lost" your contacts. Rather, they are safely tucked away in your backup file(s). But, for some reason, something went wonky in whatever update you did (you provided an incredibly small amount of detail about that, so you leave us to guess), and now you cannot restore. But the data is safe...that's exactly what backups are for. So what we have to figure out is what is causing that inability to restore them.

Typically, restore of contacts is blocked if you have Wireless Synchronization for Contacts active on the device -- when active, that acts as the "master" for contact data, and restoring from a backup would violate the "master-ness" of the OTA data source. I can't tell you how Wireless Contact Synchronization may have become activated on your device -- indeed, I can't tell you for sure that this is even the actual cause, since I can't see your device, and depend 100% on what you say here as information concerning your issue.

So, please check the two locations on your device where Wireless Contact Synchronization could be activated, and be sure that BOTH are disabled. Then, reboot your BB and your PC, and try the restore again.

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Bold & Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

I just got my company phone downgraded from a Torch 9980 to a Bold 9900. I backed up the Torch but when I went to restore the contact info on to the Bold, only about half of the contacts transferred. When I try to redo the restore for just the contacts, that area is grayed out and can't be accessed. Anybody got any ideas of what went wrong?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

bloozman54 wrote:

I just got my company phone downgraded from a Torch 9980 to a Bold 9900. I backed up the Torch but when I went to restore the contact info on to the Bold, only about half of the contacts transferred. When I try to redo the restore for just the contacts, that area is grayed out and can't be accessed. Anybody got any ideas of what went wrong?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If this "company phone" is on BES, then please work with your BES admins. The reason that contacts are greyed out for restore is that your device is not the "master" dataset for contacts...your email server is, and the data is placed onto your BB from your email server by BES.

If you are not on BES, then it's likely you have integrated an email service that can synchronize contacts OTA. In which case again the on-device dataset is not the "master", and hence the data cannot restore.

In either case, it's your "master" dataset (likely on some server somewhere) you need to get the data into, and then allow that OTA synchronization to populate your device.

If you truly have no OTA service with which you are synchronizing contacts, then go back to whoever provided you the device for assistance...they may well not have properly cleansed it prior to delivering it to you.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Useful and detailed explanation. look coque galaxy s5 & etui galaxy s5

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Orange

Just reinstalled BB Desktop Software due to organiser synch issues with Office Outlook on PC particularly recurring calendar entries.  Is it best to wipe the the device and restore from backup as well?  I am concerned that the reinstallation doesn't show any backup or synch activity, I am not too concerned about this as am comfortable synching from PC but need reassurance that if I attempt a restore from backup in anger this will actually work given that latest installation of BBDS doesn't show any backup activity.

Regards
Hall of Famer III

netviber wrote:

Just reinstalled BB Desktop Software due to organiser synch issues with Office Outlook on PC particularly recurring calendar entries.  Is it best to wipe the the device and restore from backup as well?  I am concerned that the reinstallation doesn't show any backup or synch activity, I am not too concerned about this as am comfortable synching from PC but need reassurance that if I attempt a restore from backup in anger this will actually work given that latest installation of BBDS doesn't show any backup activity.

Hello,

I do not understand..."backup activity"? Do you mean you don't see, inside of the Desktop Software, your previously taken backups? If not, then instead use Windows File Explorer to search your hard drive for all instances of files with BBB or IPD extension (*.BBB or *.IPD)...note the date/time that those were created, and where they are located. Whichever of those you desire to use, point the Desktop Software away from it's default folder to the folder in which you found those files.

netviber wrote:

Is it best to wipe the the device and restore from backup as well?

"Best" is a function of each individual situation...from your description, I don't see any reason to do that (yet).

Good luck and let us know!

Regular Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9780
My Carrier: blackberry

very useful tips on BB bold device, iam having bold handset i store all my data in my device to my PC by running the software provided along with the handset, u can also do the same by keeping backup of your device safe in your desktop PC

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: ddd

Hall of Famer III

JulieWatson31 wrote:

I am using the desktop manager. Is this the best way generally?

Thank you.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

When you read post 1 in this thread, you will discover that the Desktop Software is a component of a good backup process. But, it should not be considered the sole component of such a process (IMHO).

Good luck!