Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: BB 8520 White
My Carrier: Vodafone India

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

Krypto wrote:

If you're having problems with your BlackBerry Storm, they may be software related.  In some cases, the problems can be easily resolved by reloading an application, or changing settings, but in other cases, there are more serious problems which require more drastic measures.  Under these circumstances, it may help to reload the operating system on the phone.  The following will provide the steps on how to easily do this.

The following steps assume that you already have the operating system installed to your computer. If you do not, please download and install the OS to your computer to ensure that you are installing a clean version to your phone. To download the OS, go to your carrier's download site, available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

1. Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device.  Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore.  On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data.  Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder).  Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file.  In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.  Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).
  3. After the device configuration has been retrieved, you will be on the Device Application Selection page.  You may scroll through the list to ensure all the applications you want are selected.  You can also de-select any applications you don't use to save space.  Click Next.
  4. On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.
  5. Proceed with the OS reinstall.  Note that this process may take 10-30 minutes (usually ~10 minutes).  Do not disconnect the device.
  6. Once the process is complete, re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  Select Backup and Restore and open the Restore application.  Select the file to restore (Backup-(Year-Month-Day).ipd) and click open.  Follow the steps to restore your device.
  7. Re-enable your device connection by going to Manage Connections and turn on your Mobile Network.  Re-download any missing applications and re-connect to any BlueTooth devices and you're done.

That's it.  You should now be back up and running.  Note that this process will delete all your third party applications, hence why you need to redownload any missing applications.  I also recommend pulling your battery out for 15-30 seconds after this process is complete to ensure the device is running smooth.

I hope this helps those of you looking for a complete and easy to follow set of steps for reloading your operating system.  This process typically takes ~30-40 minutes to complete. 

Thanks to BlackBerry Technical Support and BlackBerryFAQs for inspiring this How To.

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-09-2009 08:21 AM
Message Edited by KaLin on 10-06-2009 04:46 PM

Thx soooooo much for the post! I tried everything until I tried this! And like MAGIC, it WORKED! Smiley Happy

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Hi,

I do have a lot of difficulties with my Blackberry Bold 9000 today. As every week, I've connected my blackberry to my laptop and did a backup. Than, it says that there was an update available. I had the devide software 5.0.0.822 and it wanted me to download device software 5.0.0.900. I click : DOWNLOAD. It ran the download, but it got interrupted for no reasons. I am not stocked with a blackberry which has a white screen written : 

BlackBerry Platform 5.2.0.89

AltMusic

AltPictures

AltVideos

Calculator

Files

Global Search

Music

net_rim_bb_clock

Options

Pictures

RingTones

SavedMessages

SetupWizzard

Videos

VoiceNotes.

When I click on one of the aboves, it says : Error starting net_rim_bb_file_explorer:Module 'net_rim_bb_browser_field_api' not found. or App Error 523. Sometimes, the SetupWizzard also prompts and when I click on 'continue' it says the same.

I've called my service provider, tried to do a hard reset, a soft reset, going in My Computer/Local Disk :C/Common Files/Research in Motion/AppLoader annd running the AppLoader, but it doesn't show any applications. I've also tried to do the instructions above, and it keeps telling me to verify my internet connection, but it is working well. I've tried all those tricks on another computer, and it keeps prompting the same error.

Please help me ! I do not want to have a ''used'' new phone...!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi there,

Alas, I've seen this before.  Try following the steps located in the first post here, including the need to manually download and install the OS from your carrier's website.  If you are still unable to get the OS to load, then try the following.

Download and install an application called BBSAK from http://bbsak.org/.  Once the software is loaded on your computer, plug your BlackBerry in and open the software.  When prompted, enter your password.  If you do not have a password on your BlackBerry, you can just press enter.  On the main screen, you should see your BlackBerry's PIN.  If not, press the Connect button again.

Next, you want to click on the Wipe Device button.  This will wipe everything off your phone and leave your BlackBerry with a 507 error.  Once you see this error, click on the Load OS button which will open the Loader.exe file.  You can then load the OS.

After the OS is loaded, you can restore the data backup file you either created before, or that was automatically created before the OS was initially updated (the failed attempt).  Once that's done, all you need to do is redownload and install your applications and you should be set.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any troubles.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

@Krypto

4.  On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.

The second box was not available so I don't know how this will effect the rest of the process.  I went back several times and tried selecting other options went through other processes but nothing changed.  

ARGH!!

Recent upgrade to V5.0.0.1015 (Bundle1656, Platform 4.2.0.442)
And this upgrade completely screwed up my contacts and I am pissed as hell because this phone and especially the device and desktop software has been nothing but problematic.
Elite I

Tiredof_Dumbphones wrote:

@Krypto

4.  On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.

The second box was not available so I don't know how this will effect the rest of the process.  I went back several times and tried selecting other options went through other processes but nothing changed.  

ARGH!!

Hi there and sorry to hear you're having troubles.  Have you downloaded and installed the OS to your computer directly from Verizon's site?  (I'm guessing this is a BlackBerry Storm2 on Verizon based on the OS version).  If it detects the software on the computer, it should offer that as an option.  If not, there is another option that can handle this no problem, but it requires the use of a seperate program (called BBSAK) on your computer. 

If you need to take this extra step, you can download the program at http://bbsak.org.  Once you've done that, plug your BlackBerry in, open the program, enter your password if required and then press enter.  Once the main page is open on the program, you can select the option to "Wipe Device".  Once the phone shows a 507 error on the screen, you can click on the "Load OS" button.  This will open the application loader and will get you going.

Be aware though that this will delete all of the applications/data on your phone, so ensure you've backed up your data first.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a BB Bold 9700, T-Mobile USA. When I hooked it up to BlackBerry Desktop it updated me to OS 5.0.0.714, and wow, my phone is so much faster now. I'm really liking this. Smiley Surprised  I'm new to BB so If this is something old that everyone already knew about for a long time I'm sorry. I'm trying to learn all I can about the phone and what I can do with it. I switched from android to Blackberry and I am loving it. Esp. the UMA. I was only getting 1 bar that would come and go inside my house. I don't know why but now with UMA it's great!! I used like 500 minutes in the first 3 days of having it, lol. But wow, I'm such a fan of this phone and this OS, I just want to learn all I can and get the most out of my phone.

Elite I

Awesome!  I'm glad you're having a good experience with the device and the update!  If you need assistance at any point in the future, feel free to let us know!  (And if you'd like to give us your thoughts as someone who came from Android to BB, I'd love to hear it - take a look at the new Social Lounge as that would be a great spot for that sort of post.  We hear of people leaving BB for Android, but not a lot of the other way around.  Smiley Happy ).

Visitor
My Device: 8320
My Carrier: T-mobile

"The blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device"

So I imagine I have a "nuked" 8320 that the latest desktop manager (version 6) can't see, (BBSAK nor JL-cmder  can't see it it either), but it can be seen and identified PIN and all w/o a battery using an older and almost impossible to find Desktop Manager (4.3) that's the only Desktop Manager that can see the phone. Sometimes I even have to start the Apploader from the XP DOS console with the /nojvm switch.

But then the Apploader  won't load the software even though I managed to find and install in my computer the following package:

T-Mobile_BlackBerry_8320_v4.2.2.180.exe

I couldn't find an earlier version of the software and T-mobile doesn't have but 4.5 available which I also have installed in my computer but the Apploader do not seem to think that I can load any of these two releases into my phone.

S.O.S.

Elite I

Hi there, there are two things you can try that I can think of that are fairly easy to try.

1. Try disconnecting the computer from the internet (i.e. on a laptop disable the wireless or on a desktop, simply unplug it until you're all done.

2. Before loading the OS, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and delete the Vendor.xml file, just to be safe (it's possible that you might have downloaded the OS for the wrong TMobile (e.g. if you're in the US, maybe you downloaded the version from the UK, or something similar).

If neither of these options helps, let me know as there are other options, but I'll have to look further into it to find them again (it's been a while).

My Device: Bold 9700

but when I open the app loader the backup it says that the backup is not compatible. plz help im in real big trouble whenever I turn on my mobile it says reload software 507.