Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9780 Bold
My Carrier: TMobile

Re: How To Search Notes Within Contacts?

RIM/BlackBerry - this is unacceptable to have pulled this ability. I have notified T-Mobile, they have refunded me the cost of the phone. I have requested them to notify RIM/BlackBerry that it is going to start costing the carriers money! Put it back on. Do NOT go backwards!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Bell

I agree with you 100%. RIM should put this functionality back into their OS. I have been a BB user for 4 years. My previous 8830 and even Tour 9630 were able to search in the notes section of contacts.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Found this on other forum:

Using Quick Launch i could add an app which i didn't see normally. It was search (instead of universal search). This is the old search method, and it wants to switch to universal search when starting. Just say no and search into notes and descriptions of contacts and others.

And luckily I use QL and this works !!!
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

Hi ernie,

Is Quick Launch an app that you downloaded? If so where do you get it?

Otherwise, where do you find Quick Launch on your 9780?

Thanks.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Yes QL is a $4.99 ap that can be purchased at Crackberry AppStore or directly from Nikkisoft.com. And just to clarify my BB is the Torch 9800.

Some observations:

This search app invoked is titled "Search (Legacy)" -- there's no icons and doesn't look to be listed in the installed applications. Maybe it's not in every version of OS 6 and/or it might be quietly dropped ??

Don't check any of the "Network", "AddressBook Application", "Favorites" -- it will do nothing if you do.

Within "Contacts", phone number strings, Notes, nicknames and company are searched.

But unfortunately... address fields do not.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

It's not often that a so-called "upgrade" removes so many features and standard functionality, but this v.6 "upgrade" has to be one of the worst that I've experienced in a very long time.  The removal of the standard Search feature is only one of several bugs, oversights and just terrible changes in this new OS.  Yet another sign of Blackberry's demise and the company's complete lack of customer focus or even understanding as to how their devices are used.

I only hope search engines find this message:  DO NOT UPGRADE TO v.6 and stay on v.5 for as long as possible!

Even worse, after performing the software change, there is no going back to v.5 and no way to reverse the mess that Blackberry has dumped on us.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

airvonb wrote:

after performing the software change, there is no going back to v.5 and no way to reverse the mess that Blackberry has dumped on us.

hello airvonb,

I respectfully disagree. Once an OS is installed, you can install any OS onto it. A later version or a previous one. Do you need help to install OS5 on your device ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Yes!  Please share how to uninstall v.6 and return to v.5!

Btw, if you're able to make this work you will be more successful than 4-6 Verizon and Blackbery phone support people and 3 Verizon in-store tech support people, including a "Tech Support Manager."

So, thanks very much for the offer to assist and reverse this nightmare!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

@airvonb

what you need to do is quite straightforward when you know how to do it:

1) find the lastest OS5 for your device, and install it on your PC

2) proceed with the installation of the OS5 through the USB cable to your device. For more information, go here : http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/bd-p/BlackBerryDeviceSoftware . top of list, floated topics are in grey. Among those, read the topic named "How to reload your operating system".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: torch
My Carrier: vodafone uk

guys, we b/berry has now moved on to OS7. anyone out there who is using it already, and tried searching Notes within Contacts.

Who knows maybe they got it right again! My wife is using the Torch it s a great phone, but she is using OS6 with a useless Search app, if they new Torch is using the OS7 and that OS Search app is back to OS5 standards I will switch over to b/berry otherwise forget it b/berry, I ll go for the iPhone instead!!