Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
Accepted Solution

How can I transfer photos from the SD card in my Panasonic camera into my Blackberry Bold?

I will be traveling in China this summer to view the solar eclipse on July 22nd, taking pictures with a Pansonic Lumix camera. It uses a standard SD memory card.

I want to transfer pictures to my Blackberry Bold 9000 so I can then upload them to a blog. I will NOT have a computer with me. Is it possible to get an SD card reader that can plug into the USB jack in the Blackberry and transfer files directly into the Blackberry?

If not, is there a bluetooth solution?

Note, I have already tried taking the SDHD micro card out of my Blackberry, putting it into an adapter and inserting this into my Panasonic camera, hoping that I could store my pictures directly on the SDHD micro card. It doesn't work. The camera complains with a memory card error (probably due to an incompatibility between standard SD and SDHD, i would guess).

Any ideas?

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How can I transfer photos from the SD card in my Panasonic camera into my Blackberry Bold?

[ Edited ]

There are several sd card to sd card transfer devices.  OfficeMax sell the Digital Concepts DT-35 SD Hi Speed Data Transfer Drive, although I could not find it on their website I have seen it in OfficeMax stores.  It is on the rack with all the other digital concepts products. 

Amazon also sells it.

You'll need to try it to be certain that it can read and write from sdhc cards.

Memorex makes a travellink that might allow you to connect the camera's usb port to the travellink and the phone's usb port to the travel drive, but I'd check the specs carefully.  In any even, you should be able to stick the camera card in the sd card slot, then use a cheap sdhc card reader in the usb slot for the phone's sd card (again, assuming the memorex travel link handles sdhc.)

The problem with both devices is that 1. they are battery operated, and 2. they are low speed 1.1 usb.

You might local camera shops with these devices so you can test them.

Message Edited by wnyhiker on 03-26-2009 09:13 AM
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How can I transfer photos from the SD card in my Panasonic camera into my Blackberry Bold?

Forget the above post, I just had a cup of coffe and then realized:

1.  I think the Blackberry Bold can use regular (as opposed to sdhc) micro sd cards.  They come in 1 gb and 2gb sizes with adapters for $5 to $10.

2.  Use one of the regular micro sd cards with its adapter in your camera.  When you want to send pictures, take the adapter out of the camera, take the micro sd card out of the adapter, and pop it into your phone.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

You are right. I purchased a 2GB regular SD micro card and put it in my Panasonic camera with an adapter. After taking a few pictures, I then removed the micro card from the camera and inserted it into my Blackberry. Pictures are then visible there and can be uploaded to my blog. No additional card readers are necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion!

David