Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: T-Mobile

How can I update my device software when my phone keeps rebooting? Please help!

Hi!

Ok so yesterday, my phone randomly froze. The screen went white and error 102 came up. After lots of research, I realized only updating my blackberry would sort it out. It was impossible though as my blackberry started to load 3/4 of the way and then reboot again. Today, I ended up having to wipe my whole system to which I got error 507. For a while my phone wouldn't find any updates and when it did, it would begin to update and then my phone would reboot mid update. I FINALLY found apploader on my system after a big struggle LOL to which it told me I had no software (which I was aware of) and didn't give me the option to add or install everything. I then manually downloaded the software I needed and started apploader again to which it FINALLY found my software, went all the way through to the stage I needed. Told me what would be installed (software, app world, bbm, etc). I started celebrating, went through with the update to which my phone just REBOOTED AGAIN! So obviously the update couldn't complete! I've been through everything.. uninstalled and reinstalled my OS, wiped my phone system, deleted vendor. But absolutely nothing is working. I've got all the way to the end finally and can nearly update my system but the phone just won't stop rebooting. Help!

Thank you

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport, Z10 and PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: Proximus (BE)

Re: How can I update my device software when my phone keeps rebooting? Please help!

[ Edited ]

This looks more like a hardware issue to me rather a software related one...

In my humble opinion at least.

You did the upgrade process through OTA or with BBDM?

I would give a try with usb connection to a computer and BBDM software running.

------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to mark as "solved" if your question is replied and to "like" a useful reply to your post ;-)
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: How can I update my device software when my phone keeps rebooting? Please help!

Hi, I couldn't do it with BBDM as it wouldn't pick up the connection which is why I had to do it through apploader.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

This tip is for those users where the 'Safe mode' works which want to install new or current device software and restore existing apps in one update.

I had a similar issue. My Torch rebooted about 30s after the home screen was up again so I could not use DTM to help me.  So I used the ‘Save mode’ procedure by holding down the escape key when I saw the loading bar appear and then released it when the home screen was up with a ‘Safe screen’ message, saying OK then.

see for ‘save mode’ link:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=08A4E88DB3F21D4A860414EDED22AB58?...)

Once my Torch was steady and did not reboot any more I deleted the 2 apps which might have caused the issue after upgrading them (Who knows why my phone did to tart this afterwards?).

If your phone still reboots after a 'safe' boot, it might be a hardware issue, either in your phone or the cable connections. Try a different USB port, another cable, wiggle on the connection points to see what happens. It could also be that its device software got corrupted and then look elsewhere on this forum.

However, if the safe mode works I suggest reconnecting to your DTM7 in ‘Safe mode’. (Are you running DTM version 7 ?; I suggest it for the next tip).

Now, after you made another backup rather then using the’ Apploader route’  you went through before I suggest to select under Device ‘Update’ and then after it cannot find a newer version it says: ‘Connecting to your BlackBerry device’ and finally ‘There are no Blackberry Device Software updates available’.

Now select ‘View other Versions’ which then points to ‘Device software’ versions on your PC. (I assume you have at least one installed on your PC).

Highlight the ‘currently installed’ version and click install.  Under ‘Update Options’ on the next screen check ‘Back up device data’ and uncheck ‘Email me…’ and then select ‘ Install update’

Now hands off till you get the’ Updating complete’ message. Follow all the prompts for each app. You might have to reload data from one of your previous backup files (it depends how convoluted your BB status is, i.e. did your wipe your phone with another method first?). If you did not and your apps are still present then my method should restore all your current data and apps.

I hope this can work for you too. Let me know by accepting this as a solution or ‘Like” it