Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

How do I TRANSFER / BACKUP text messages from my 9800 to my PC?

I'm new to BLACKBERY, and I have a 9800 TORCH on which I have several TEXT message conversations that I want to transfer / backup to my PC. I've got he BLACKBERRY Desktop sw installed, but I cannot locate the text messages. Please advise. Jon
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How do I TRANSFER / BACKUP text messages from my 9800 to my PC?

Hi there,

Your text messages will be backed up as a part of the .bbb backup file, however they are not easily viewable on your computer like this. To pull copies of your text messages from your phone so that you can read them on your computer, you will need to get a separate program to read them. One that has worked for people in the past is called ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter.

I hope this information will help out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Krypto;

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I've installed the "ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter" but - for the life of me - I can't find my text messages within ANY of the folders on my 9800!  I've ended up with some software called FLV Player. 

Is this the right one? 

I'm not too bright where phones and tech are concerned; I just use it as a phone and a camera.

I've created a BACKUP file from my phone to the PC (.bbb file) but The Converter / FLV Player is looking for a file in a directory, but I can't located it!

Any instructions you can provide would be gratefully accepted.  Jon

New Contributor

Turns out the FLV Player was **bleep**! ;o) I have managed to source out the correct "ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter", but it too cannot access the backup file (.bbb) on my PC! Smiley Surprised( Lots of software downloaded, but no solution to actually point to and say - It Worked! ANY advice is gladly accepted. Jon
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

You can use blackberry protect.  it backups text messages online.  The link for it is in my signature.

You can also check app world for an app that can forward the sms to an email address.  Here is an example of a free one but check around:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/132110/?lang=en

You can also keep the messages forever on the blackberry by setting the option.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB13093&sliceId=2&cm...

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

If you need to have a record of your text messages on your computer, see if you can find an older version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software that will work with the ABC Amber Converter software. I think BlackBerry Desktop Software version 6 and older use the .ipd file backup which is compatible.

An alternate method is to use a screenshot app on your phone to take screenshots of the text messages you need. You can then email these screenshots to yourself.

As a heads up, generally speaking, if you need a backup of your communications for proof, it would be recommended to use email. But hopefully the above info will help out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!