Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

How do I get Anti-Virus software for my BlackBerry 9320 OS:7.1, Software Build: 1011?

Not being aware if I had any AV software on my Smartphone (BlackBerry 9320 OS:7.1, Software Build: 1011), I tried a package from F-Secure (via Virgin Media) that offered licences for up to 5 items, such as PC's, Tablets, Smartphones etc.

I successfully installed F-Secure SAFE on my PC. However when I tried  to download the software to my Smartphone, from http://mobile.f-secure.com/virgin/ms_virginmedia.apk (supplied by SMS from the F-Secure SAFE portal) I kept getting the message on my Smartphone; "Unsupported media type: application/zip".

Subsequent online discussions with F-Secure revealed that they did not provide AV Software for my Blackberry model. I found this very surprising as it is a common model and F-Secure seem to provide AV Software for just about every other model. But there it is. My question is: how do I go about installing suitable AV Software on my BlackBerry 9320 OS:7.1, Software Build: 1011?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Passport - Z30 - Playbook - Finding Priv
My Carrier: Not Specified

Re: How do I get Anti-Virus software for my BlackBerry 9320 OS:7.1, Software Build: 1011?

Try NQ Antivirus - It is Compatible with your Device and is Free

Regards Eree - Follow me on Twitter - Facebook - Google+

For more visit my Blog
Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How do I get Anti-Virus software for my BlackBerry 9320 OS:7.1, Software Build: 1011?

There is no virus for BlackBerry devices, never has been, and is not now.

There is no need for an antivirus for something for which there is no virus.

It's a waste of time, money and effort.

Snake oil... and anyone who recommends an AV program for your BlackBerry has no clue what they are recommending.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hello Mr Sanders.

Your comments are surprising.

There are many sources I have looked at which recommend treating your Smartphone's security similar to that for your PC...yet you believe that this is "snake oil" - could you please illustrate for me the you have come to this view?

Cheers.

stormcut wrote:

There are many sources I have looked at which recommend treating your Smartphone's security similar to that for your PC...yet you believe that this is "snake oil" - could you please illustrate for me the you have come to this view?

But I bet none of those stating "smartphone" knowledgeably written make any mention of a BlackBerry... iPhone and Android yes. Especially Android, whose apps may contain all sorts of malware and virus. None of that applies to BlackBerry.

The fact that there is no virus and never has been a virus yet to infect BlackBerry is enough... BlackBerry is securely coded to guard against such. And, just to explain the pure definition of "antivirus" one HAS to know what the virus is first to write the code for the "anti-".

That, and ten years of experience in the BlackBerry and smartphone community is enough for me. The user above who recommended that app has posted about 500 useless and ill-informed posts in this forum in this month. Likewise, on this issue he's out of his league.

Enough?  Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Passport - Z30 - Playbook - Finding Priv
My Carrier: Not Specified

@JSanders i know there is no Virus for BlackBerry but @stormcut asked for a Anti-Virus and i told him - Thats it

Regards Eree - Follow me on Twitter - Facebook - Google+

For more visit my Blog

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

threre has been no virus on Java phones to this date and there is no transport to do so

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: BB Torch, v6.0.0.666, Model No RDG71 UW
My Carrier: MTNZM, MTN Zambia

I really enjoyed your feedback to Stormcut. I think that has definitely settled matters on the issue of viruses and BB. Thanks guys. What could we have done without you.