Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9360
My Carrier: T-Mobile

How do I know I'm using wifi and not my data plan?

Hi everyone,

I'm gradually getting used to and liking my new BlackBerry! If I'm at home and got the wifi on and want to go on the internet, how do I know I'm using wifi and not my data plan? I only have 250mb data plan and don't want to be using it up when I'm on the net with the wifi on. It says the name of the router at the top of my phone, but also 3G. I can't tell if I'm connecting via the wifi router or phone connection.

Any help would be much appreiated.

Thank you.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do I know I'm using wifi and not my data plan?

Hello,

Go into Manage Connections > Services Status. That will tell you the path that BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is using (also BES, if you are on BES). It should automatically shift and prefer WiFi when WiFi is available.

Inside the Options/Settings of various apps, set them (those that can) to use BIS as their channel for communication...that way, when the BB automatically shifts to WiFi for BIS, the apps will as well (and they will shift back to Mobile Data Network when WiFi is not available).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I have the wifi on at the mo for the computer internet and on my BlackBerry the BlackBerry Internet Service says it's connected via the 'Mobile Network' so does that mean the wifi hasn't overridden the phone?

Also, sorry, but can't find where you mean for this bit in your reply:

'Inside the Options/Settings of various apps, set them (those that can) to use BIS as their channel for communication...that way, when the BB automatically shifts to WiFi for BIS, the apps will as well (and they will shift back to Mobile Data Network when WiFi is not available).'

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

sares8 wrote:

Thank you for your help. I have the wifi on at the mo for the computer internet and on my BlackBerry the BlackBerry Internet Service says it's connected via the 'Mobile Network' so does that mean the wifi hasn't overridden the phone? 

"mo"? Sorry, I'm not at all sure what that means...

Whatever "Services Status" says is what BIS is using as it's pathway for data communications, which means that, when you looked at that, BIS was indeed not using WiFi. But, just having WiFi "on" means nothing...you need also to configure, into the BB, the various WiFi networks that you want your BB to actually use...just having WiFi on means the WiFi radio of the BB is on, and can "see" WiFi networks, but it cannot use them until they are configured into the BB (with whatever the WiFi network owner requires for security, etc.).

sares8 wrote:

Also, sorry, but can't find where you mean for this bit in your reply:

'Inside the Options/Settings of various apps, set them (those that can) to use BIS as their channel for communication...that way, when the BB automatically shifts to WiFi for BIS, the apps will as well (and they will shift back to Mobile Data Network when WiFi is not available).' 

It's a bit difficult to be more specific than that as each app developer has the ability to provide a setting, within the app that they wrote, to provide a configuration item for what pathway the app will use for data communications. And, further, each app developer can call that configuration item whatever they want...so there's no way to be more specific, since the actual specifics will be different from app to app. But, if the app developer did provide a configuration item, inside of their app (when inside the app, press the Logo_Blue.gif key and select Options, Settings, or whatever they might have called it), to allow you to tell the app, by virtue of the configuration setting, what pathway to use, then you can set that to force the app to use whatever pathways (e.g., BIS, WiFi, TCP, etc.) you desire.

For instance...some folks, in situations where their carrier does not allow BIS access via WiFi, might set their (e.g.,) weather app to use only WiFi so that the weather app doesn't consume precious carrier data network capacity at all. Of course, that does mean that the weather app will only be able to update when WiFi is in range to the BB, but that's a choice that each user can make (again, assuming the app developer provided a setting, within the app, to control this).

Again, all of this depends on the above...actually configuring, into the BB, the various WiFi networks that you desire your BB to use. Some WiFi networks (e.g., public HotSpots) will further require you to accept Terms & Conditions every time you use that network...you have to a) configure, into your BB, a WiFi configuration for that network and b) each time you get into range of that network, launch your BB Browser and accept the Ts & Cs of the public HotSpot. For your home WiFi, you should be able to configure that to always allow your BB to automatically connect and use your home WiFi network...but, again, that is controlled by you (the owner of that home network). I wish I could be more specific, but there are just too many variables available within the WAP settings, and those are controlled by the WiFi network "owner".

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks so much for your help. I'll have a look :-)