Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How do I know if I'm using the 'Blackberry Browser'?

[ Edited ]

My service provider allows unlimited internet usage as long as I use the BlackBerry Browser as opposed to the likes of Internet Explorer.

How do I know if I'm using the BlackBerry Browser?

Message Edited by KittyJINX on 07-27-2009 01:45 PM
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: How do I know if I'm using the 'Blackberry Browser'?

There is no such thing like Internet Explorer for BlackBerry.

Standard BlackBerry Browser is shown on the pictures below:

BoldBrowser.png    BoldBrowser2.png

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do I know if I'm using the 'Blackberry Browser'?

Depending on your services, you may or may not be able to switch between one browser or another. Check here:

Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Browser

If you can change these settings, then you can indeed go between two browsers (though there will be no difference in accessing them...that will still work as discussed above). Typically, Internet Browser will go directly to the site you want while BlackBerry Browser will go through a firms BES environment on it's way to/from the site you want. Some carriers and BES environments lock this down and you cannot change it. But, this is where you set the actual browser that you are using.

Now, as to IE or otherwise -- that's a different setting, and it does not change the actual browser you use. Rather, it is a setting to cause your browser (whichever one you set above) to identify (to websites) as something...IE, FF, BB, etc. (the setting will also shift based on carrier, BES environment, etc). That setting is, from with your browser, go here:

BBKey > Options > Browser Configuration

You can modify these settings for all browsers available to you in the first step above...and there is usually a setting on this screen for "Browser Identification", which will cause your browser to appear to websites as whatever you set this to...some sites will interact better with different browsers...this allows you to choose the one that works best for the sites you visit.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................