Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: TELCEL

How do I re-install the operating system on my BlackBerry Torch 9800 - I am sure it is hacked.

Greetings,

Can someone point me to instructions on how to re-install the operating system on a BlackBerry Torch 9800 and then upgrade it to the latest release?

I have done this several times in the past, due to recurring hacking, but have lost the instructions. 

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

P.S. I would preffer a releas of the OS without any pre-install applicaitons such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, 

and above all, Whastapp. Thank you.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do I re-install the operating system on my BlackBerry Torch 9800 - I am sure it is hacked.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Re: How do I re-install the operating system on my BlackBerry Torch 9800 - I am sure it is hacked.

sdgardne, 

Thank you for the response. I will review it carefully and revert with any technical questions.

However, the procedure the phone company has performed on my phone a number of times, and which I later have performed myself twice, was considerabbly easier and relatively quick.

Of course, it would wipe out all phone settings, contacts, chats, pictures, recordings, videos just as you suggest this one will. However, what is the difference?

Will this truly remove any keyloggers, malware, spyware, or transmitting sofware from the device?

Thank you, regards, and best wishes for 2014.

Jean-Pierre

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

dareys wrote:
However, the procedure the phone company has performed on my phone a number of times, and which I later have performed myself twice, was considerabbly easier and relatively quick.

Of course, it would wipe out all phone settings, contacts, chats, pictures, recordings, videos just as you suggest this one will. However, what is the difference?

I have no idea what anyone else does for you...you've not described that, so I cannot know what they do. You asked for instructions for OS reloading...and that is what those instructions are. I cannot provide you a comparison to something I do not know of. If you reveal what this other process is that they/you have performed, then perhaps I can provide you some comparisons.

dareys wrote:

Will this truly remove any keyloggers, malware, spyware, or transmitting sofware from the device?

I know of none of those on any legacy BB device. I've heard many stories over the years, but know of no confirmed occurrences of those things on BB. BB remains the most secure mobile device available.

Nevertheless, the OS reload will return the device to "factory fresh" condition, with the specific OS package installed. What is installed subsequent to that is, of course, beyond the control of the OS reloading process.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you for the response! You rock! You just explained the difference, perhaps without realizing it.

What the phone company does, is basically restore the phone to factory default settings, NOT, re-install the OS!!! When I get back home, if I find the proceudre, I will scan it and revert to you.

I believe that said procedure is not enough to remove malware, keyloggers, or spyware, embedded within the OS kernel. The same is true with Computers running Windows XP, for example. A restore of the OS will not wipe out malware embedded in the OS. You have to do a low level format of the disk, and then, re-install the OS.

So, I believe that the only choice I have is to perform your procedure. I have backed up all of my contacts to three different locations, two on the cloud, so whatever happens, at worse I will be without a phone for a few days. And really, nobody calls me on it so who cares. The thing is practically useless.

It might take me another week or so, but I will let you know the outcome. Because, yes, I still believe that BlackBerry is the most secure mobile phone in the market. No matter what they tell you, Iphones, are vulnerable, and Android, well, a hackers delight!

Thank you!

Jean-Pierre

Hall of Famer III

dareys wrote:

What the phone company does, is basically restore the phone to factory default settings, NOT, re-install the OS!!!

It's still not at all clear what they do. There is a very specific procedure for reset to factory, but there also is on-device WIPE. But, as you surmised, NONE of those truly reinstall the OS other than the specific one I gave you.

dareys wrote:

I believe that said procedure is not enough to remove malware, keyloggers, or spyware, embedded within the OS kernel.

Again, there is no such confirmed report of anything like that. An add-on app maybe, but never within the OS kernel itself.

dareys wrote:
The same is true with Computers running Windows XP, for example. A restore of the OS will not wipe out malware embedded in the OS. You have to do a low level format of the disk, and then, re-install the OS.

Not the same. Very different.

In any event, you seem to be convinced that you have some malware of some kind, but you've revealed nothing more than these hints. But, what I understand is irrelevant...what you believe will trump all, and you will hopefully find resolution in these procedures.

Good luck and let us know!

Contributor

Greetings,

Again, you are correct.

I am familiar with the WIPE option of the device. It might be part of the procedure that I have performed a couple of times. Like I said, I hope to find the document outlining the steps and revert.

As far as what the phone company does, you are right. I have no idea. Perhaps just that, perhaps something else.

However, yes, I don't believe either option completely re-installs RIM, which is what I want do to, to get a clean slate.

I may not be an expert at BlackBerry technology, but I know my way around computers, having worked in the industry for over 30 years. This year alone, I have had to re-format my Laptop twice to remove malware from it. System restore sometimes clear problems, but most of the times, a reformat and re-install is the only fix.

SOP for local internet shop owners. They use programs like Deep Freeze, or GoBack to preserve the OS and key Applications, and restore at each reboot. Or, they just reformat and re-install, when the machine gets hacked, depending on how sofisticated or concerned for the safety of their users they might be.

As far as my BlackBerrry, well, I have leaned that WhatsApp for example is easily hackable, and can access a great deal of content on the device.. So it is a liability. I have removed it, Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter from the phone. and other fun applications as well. Yet, I still observe things that make me think I am being spyied on.

I have learned that for $800.00 USD, you can get people to tap an Iphone, a BlackBerry etc. either by doing so directly a the company source, or by downloading an application to the phone. So, I am not imagining this. Can I prove it? No. But, I can protect myself. Reformat, and not install ANYTHING on the device.

Use it as a basic phone, SMS, and email communication device. Even surfing can be a hazard. 

The technical details of wether Windows XP on a PC or RIM on one of your devices is similar, well, maybe they are totally different. However, the concepts, and the potential problems, look the same to me.

I will be in touch. Than you again.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre