Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

SB
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

How do I retrieve old messages received in bb instant messaging

I was sent some information on bb messaging and after a long conversation on the instant messaging i noticed the old messages were gone please help
Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do I retrieve old messages received in bb instant messaging

Hello SB,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

You have to make sure that you enable to Save Message History option on your BlackBerry smartphone in the BlackBerry Messenger application. Once this is complete from that point forward you will be able to search conversations and view history.

To enable Save Message History options navigate to BlackBerry Messenger application, press the menu key (left of the trackball) select options and scroll down to Save Message History. Specify where you would like to save it and back out and save the changes.

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: T-mobile

I inadvertently selected "End Conversation" and this seems to have deleted all prior messages in the conversation. Is there any way to recover those messages from prior to "End Conversation"? If it is stored on the device, where on the device? If not, could the carrier (T-Mobile, in my case) have a record of the conversation?

Retired

Hello,

The message history is only stored on the BlackBerry smartphone if the option to save conversation history has been turned on prior to the conversation. This feature is off by default and needs to be enabled by going to BlackBerry Messenger>Options>Save Message History.

The carrier does not have record of these messages either. If the conversation has been closed the messages are gone.

Thank you

-DrP

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: T-mobile

Thank you, but when I go to Blackberry Messenger>Options there is no "Save Message History" option here. I see options that include: 

Vibrate When Receiving a Ping

Ask Password Question When Adding Contacts

Allow Forwarding of Requests

Show Conversations 

Etc, but no "Save Message History" option. Please advise, thanks!

Retired

Hello,

It sounds like you are running an older version of the BlackBerry Messenger application where this feature was not available. Please check by going to Options>Advanced Options>Applications to get the version of BlackBerry Messenger.

Alternetavely you can update your BlackBerry Messenger application by going to www.blackberry.com/messenger on your BlackBerry smartphones browser.]

Thank you

-DrP

My Device: curve
My Carrier: verizon

I've read the posts and can't seem to find the "save history" option. However, what I want is this. I only speak to one person on bb instant messenger and want a record of all our conversations. Is it possible to get that? Does blackberry have a record of it? Please help