Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How do I sync 2 Blackberry calendars with Outlook eg work & facebook calendars

I have downloaded the new facebook app for Blackberry. It has created a FACEBOOK CALENDAR on my blackberry.  So now I have a calendar under my work email, facebook and my personal hotmail.

Facebook events have been added to the FACEBOOK calendar but when I sync my blackberry with Outlook only the items under the work email address are syncronised with Outlook. I would like to sync the facebook calendar entries as well as my work calendar entries with my Outlook calendar.

I have tried to look for similiar issues others might have but could not find this particular problem.

I have a Blackberry Bold.

thank you

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: How do I sync 2 Blackberry calendars with Outlook eg work & facebook calendars

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Please take a minute and close the thread you opened on 6/14.

This will keep other users from entering information twice.

Click here to close the other thread: double post

I Received your PM and I think you gave a better description of what you are trying to accomplish.

I will reprint it here. It's always best to work where every user can offer help and learn.

cazozphil wrote:

On my blackberry (BOLD) I have 3 calendars (work, private & now facebook after downloading the new app). I want to keep the entries in the respective calendars on my blackberry but would like them all to sync with Outlook (2007). Is there a way to get outlook to recognise all the calendar entries not just the one you have set as your calendar default service (which is my work email address)?

I have used the suggestion to look in the backup and can see that

Calendar - 800 entries 

Calendar-all 1200 entries

thank you

1) Short answer, you need to merge the Facebook calendar with the default service calendar on your Blackberry.

You can't synchronize or backup the Facebook calendar as a separate calendar. Read the following:

Backup    Sync

2) Here is how to setup Facebook to enter items to your default services calendar. This link is to the

Facebook 1.6 introduction thread in the Introduction forum. I would suggest reading all the articles

to get the most out of Facebook and your device. Example you can also merge contacts with Facebook:

Facebook 1.6 articles

3) You could synchronize your work and personal email to Outlook. You would have to do two separate

synchronizations changing the default service email association on both the BB and PC in between.

It will require you to put your work email address on the PC as well as your private email address.

4) You asked for my opinion so here you go:

Don't do it! Your going to wind up with a big headache!

Here is the best article I have to describe the calendar and synchronize process: Calendars on the Blackberry

The Blackberry was designed to synchronize one main calendar with one main PC calendar both tied to

the same email address.

Changing CICAL entries in default services generally results in records going to the ddevice default calendar.

Those records are lost to the synchronization and requires you to delete and restore your calendar data base.

I think that for most users with multiple calendars (including me) it's not IF your going to get records

in the device default calendar, its just a matter of WHEN. I've made the mistake several times, the last one

pretty recently!

I hope this answers all your concerns.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Re: How do I sync 2 Blackberry calendars with Outlook eg work & facebook calendars

Thank you for getting back to me. A silly question - How do I close the duplicate thread you gave me a link for? I went to the original posting and looked at the options and thread options and cannot find anywhere to delete it or close it. I looked on the help and it refers to selecting or not selection someone who has given a solution to the problem. hmmmm I think I am going mad (or blind).

Also, I had looked at the facebook for blackberry link you gave me and looked at the events in calendar -  but it doesn't say how to get it to sync into my existing calendar on Blackberry (it creates its own facebook calendar). This is of course a real pain, for when I need to plan my trips etc with my outlook calendar I would like to have any events from facebook in there but now it seems I will have to enter them into both calendars OR did I misinterpret your notes. I love the new app but am I making it more difficult that in really is or should be?

Guru I

cazozphil wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me. A silly question - How do I close the duplicate thread you gave me a link for? I went to the original posting and looked at the options and thread options and cannot find anywhere to delete it or close it. I looked on the help and it refers to selecting or not selection someone who has given a solution to the problem. hmmmm I think I am going mad (or blind).

I used the word closed instead of resolved sorry. Just resolve it, OK? Thanks 

Also, I had looked at the facebook for blackberry link you gave me and looked at the events in calendar -  but it doesn't say how to get it to sync into my existing calendar on Blackberry (it creates its own facebook calendar). This is of course a real pain, for when I need to plan my trips etc with my outlook calendar I would like to have any events from facebook in there but now it seems I will have to enter them into both calendars OR did I misinterpret your notes. I love the new app but am I making it more difficult that in really is or should be?

Look on the link for the Facebook 1.6 I sent you. Maybe you missed it.

This is the first article titled:

Provides information on how to add Facebook events to the Calendar application on the BlackBerry sma...

If you didn't miss it do you have a question about it?

Thanks,

Bifocals 

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor

Great thank you.

Yes I did see the part on setting up the facebook calendar. It didn't give me an option to choose my default calendar it just went ahead and created its own little Facebook calendar. Very confusing. I don't think it can do what I need it to do and will just have to keep an eye on the next update and see if it fixes the problem. I read all the articles you refered me too so thank you for that.

Thanks again for your replies you have been most helpful and I don't think that I will be doing the "sync each calendar seperately" thing.. that seems why too messy as you say.

Again thank you

Highlighted
Guru I

[ Edited ]

cazozphil wrote:

Great thank you.

Yes I did see the part on setting up the facebook calendar. It didn't give me an option to choose my default calendar it just went ahead and created its own little Facebook calendar. Very confusing. I don't think it can do what I need it to do and will just have to keep an eye on the next update and see if it fixes the problem.

I would reread that article. Your Facebook calendar on the Blackberry will not be used, the events will all be on your

default services calendar.

"If the the Facebook event option is turned on, on the first login, all existing and pending events from that day forward are added to the Calendar application on the BlackBerry smartphone. This only happens on the first login or after all data has been deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone."

Make sense?

Thanks,

Bifocals 

I read all the articles you refered me too so thank you for that.

Thanks again for your replies you have been most helpful and I don't think that I will be doing the "sync each calendar seperately" thing.. that seems why too messy as you say.

Again thank you

Message Edited by Bifocals on 06-19-2009 04:22 AM