Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: How do I turn off new threaded SMS messaging in OS 5.0?

the only way i sort out was to open the SMS and point the cuirsor on the pirticular Sent messege and delete it..the good thing about this is, when i delete a Sent messege withing the thread, the next item highlited is my next Sent messege leacing the recived SMS untouched. This helps me quickly to Del and Enter key so i can delete all my Sent SMS only though you can manually scroll up to the received SMS and delete them. But if u delete the SMS on the inbox right away, the entire thread is deleted...and i missed one prescious msg like tht Smiley Sad I like to see each thread to have a flexibility to change between the Old and Thread version..

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

after several search, i think that the only way to know who's the sender of a message and to send a message to a contact is to click on "view folder" and then "SMS inbox" !!!!

hard to beleive !

Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I hate this too!  Thanks for sharing that by going to the View Folder, SMS Inbox, you can (temporarily) view messages the old way.  Why can't we make this default??   I should specify that I like the threaded conversations within the new upgrade, but I prefer my Inbox to look as it did.  Now, when I look at  messages from a specific day (which I do constantly), I have no way of easily recalling what vendors, etc. contacted me on that day.  I have to change the view or scroll through each individual thread to look for the date. 

Since the BB upgrade, I have a similar problem with my Gmail mail.  It now only shows my Inbox and not "All Mail" as default as it used to, so any filtered mail displays as a new message, but I can't see it when I open my Gmail folder unlesss I (TEMPORARILY) change the view cuz again...BIG change in this O/S from how BB handled these before, and no option to change the default view!!  I see lots of users hollering about this issue too with no resolution.  These two issues have slowed down my productivity considerably.  My contract ends with AT&T next month and I've been planning to switch to a new BB with Verizon, but I am seriously considering the Droid now.  Don't know why BB can't just give us some stinkin' view options.

New Developer
My Device: blackberry bold 9700

I'm having the same exact problem . I've been trying to research this online but no one has answers yet. It is exactly a great subject.

Contributor
My Device: 8520

I completely agree about these new features in BB 5.0.   They NEED TO BE OPTIONAL !    Already I have had a problem with the threaded SMS  - I didn't realise that it sends the full thread instead of just my current message and I ended up inadvertently telling someone what their husband was getting them for Xmas...

If I want 'chat' I use messenger.    This redesign is such a big change and so unintuitive that it really should be optional.

Ditto the redesigned gmail - pretty useless now.

Also the numerous extra links on menus to all the social network apps are a pain.  Again, if I want to use one of those, I'll select it, thankyou.   With all these extra links it is only a matter of time before I accidentaly share sensitive work information with the world via Twitter and Facebook.  Will I be able to sue Blackberry for damages when that happens   :-)

Please Blackberry, LISTEN to us - make these things optional for those of us over 20 years old, please!!!!

Visitor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

I work in the transport business and receive my jobs via SMS. Those include a bunch of code numbers. Seeing them all together in one big 'lump' is terribly annoying.

The KB20158, refered to in this thresd is dated 03-23-10, almost 10 months ago.

Perhaps we all should send RIM one email after the other demanding that this problem gets solved.

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 9100
My Carrier: Telus

The only way Ive found so far to do this is to View Folders, SMS Inbox, once youre in the SMS. It is annoying, but this way at least individual messages can be saved or erased or replied to. The selecting an option for LeftSide convenience key only lets you pick SMS/MMS and will show the threaded message lists.

New Contributor
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: US Cellular

I am so ticked off and disappointed at the v5 threading setup, I actually registered just to complain about it.... and revive this old thread Smiley Happy

I revived a spare BB tour to use...and after getting the phone stuff all activated and the phone was functional again, i figured hell with it ill throw v5 on.

BAH!!!

Everything ELSE seems fine so far....for the 5 days I minimally used other functions on the tour anyways. 

But the SMS MMS threading / grouping is totally moronic.  Especially to not have an OPTION to revert back to the old style.

Normally i dont care about stuff like this.  But the thing is, its text, and its used numerous times during the day...and the format absolutely sucks!  So it drives me freaking nuts. 

THIS FORMAT IS HORRIBLE.

SWITCHING BACK TO V4 IN 15 MIN 

Gave it 5 long days....and it just keeps sucking even worse.

And no OPTION to switch something as stupid and simple as SMS formatting between os 4 and 5 shows total lack of foresight.

Looks like i wont be buying a blackberry ever again.

Congrats

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

before reverting back to OS4, remember you can change the way SMS are displayed by using several third party applications. some of them are free.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: US Cellular

hmmmm,  what are the name of the apps to do so?

Thanks