Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile- UK

How do I view on my computer the things i've backed up with Desktop Manager?

I went on the Desktop Manager and clicked BackUp. but how do i access (view) ,on my computer, the files ive backed up once i've disconnected the Blackberry ?? If you can even do that but i supose you must be able to otherwise whats the point in having backup...

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do I view on my computer the things i've backed up with Desktop Manager?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

The point of a backup file is not to inspect it. Rather, it is to use it as the source of a restore in case of catastrophic failure. Hence, conducting regular backups is key...viewing the backup file itself is irrelevant. If you want to know what get's backed up, see this KB for all databases on the BB:

• KB03974List of all databases on the BlackBerry smartphone

There were some 3rd party apps that could parse the IPD files, but I don't know if they exist anymore. ABC Amber or something like that comes to mind.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile- UK

Re: How do I view on my computer the things i've backed up with Desktop Manager?

Oh right, Thankyou! So is the whole point in backup so that if you loose your phone or loose the files on your phone you can then download it all back onto your phone (or a new phone) through desktop manager?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

star-x-x-x wrote:

Oh right, Thankyou! So is the whole point in backup so that if you loose your phone or loose the files on your phone you can then download it all back onto your phone (or a new phone) through desktop manager?

Yes...well...not quite. Read the above KB...the databases are what get backed up and restored. The "files", if you are referring to data files on your Media Card or Device Memory, do not get backed up...you need to do that separately (simple USB-drive drag/drop to your PC).

Further, it's not just for losing the BB...there can be catastrophic failures requiring you to reload your BB OS. When that happens, all of those databases are re-initialized...ergo empty. Hence, restoring from your backup after such an event would also be needed.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I have written a program (Excel macro running under Windows) which reads the Address Book, Calendar, or SMS Messages DBs and produces various formatted files so you can see what is in these backed up data bases. Contact me if you are interested. My services are free !!!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

There is also a program called MagicBerry from MenaStep that can parse and view the ipd files. It is free, too.

When I first read the OP message, I thought they were asking where the files were stored? The remainder of this conversation seems to indicate I was wrong, but if not, that can be answered.
My Device: 9700 Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Re: How do I view on my computer the things I've backed up with Desktop Manager?

I don't know if you can help me, but you seem to know what you are talking about where blackberry's are concerned! Which is more than a lot of people.Let me explain and please forgive me if I am rabblin. 'The slider was lifting but it still was working but then I dropped it and it just shut down and will not turn on at All! The last time I bacd-up was about 2 mo ago.

My question is where do I find the files that I have bac'd up on my computer and since it will not turn back on, it probably is crashed do you think? Now mind you I'm know you are just giving me an opinion so don't think I'm going to hold you accountable. But nobody seems to be able to tell me anything not even ATT! Any help or answers you can give me would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Heather

Hall of Famer III

Re: How do I view on my computer the things I've backed up with Desktop Manager?

hkledgewood wrote:

I don't know if you can help me, but you seem to know what you are talking about where blackberry's are concerned! Which is more than a lot of people.Let me explain and please forgive me if I am rabblin. 'The slider was lifting but it still was working but then I dropped it and it just shut down and will not turn on at All! The last time I bacd-up was about 2 mo ago.

My question is where do I find the files that I have bac'd up on my computer and since it will not turn back on, it probably is crashed do you think? Now mind you I'm know you are just giving me an opinion so don't think I'm going to hold you accountable. But nobody seems to be able to tell me anything not even ATT! Any help or answers you can give me would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Heather

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

A dropped BB...the only thing that can be predicted is that the results will be unpredictable. At an internet distance, it's pretty much impossible to know for sure when it comes to hardware issues. If it won't turn on at all, then your PC will not be able to communicate with it, rendering everything except what is on the SD card "gone for good".

To find your backup file, search your entire PC hard drive for files with IPD extension (*.IPD). Inspect the date/time the files were created...the newest one being your best candidate to use for restore to a new BB. Then, use the procedure in this KB to perform the restore:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

Good luck!