Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

How does App World search work?

Hi!

I've realized that the only way to appear in search results is with app name words.

It does not matter what your description or short description is, only words in app name are taken in account.

This means you can not name your app with only a "name" as it will not be shown by any search terms.

Am i true?

This is awfull! I have apps that should be found by some keywords and I can not put all of them in the name.

It would very usefull to have a keywords field on app settings.

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How does App World search work?

Your findings are correct, the search currently works only on the title of the app.

I was talking to one of the AppWorld reps at BlackBerry 10 Jam about this and similar AppWorld issues.

e.g. I was looking to download "MorphWiz-Play" but I only recalled the app name included the word "Play" so I searched on that... several hundred un-related apps came back because many apps labeled themselves as "Something for BlackBerry PlayBook".

Since BlackBerry 10 will run many of the apps currently in AppWorld for the PlayBook... the additional "suffix" of " for BlackBerry PlayBook" is going to become both misleading and innaccurate.  The rep indicated that there were several changes coming to address this... as well as the search in general.

Reading between the lines, I gathered that the current search on the title only was due to many developers using "keyword stuffing" in their app descriptions, which again makes the search results useless.

As for what the "next" search strategy is exactly... I don't know... but I'd like it to be something like:

1. Strip off the suffix on all apps that are "Something for BlackBerry PlayBook"
  2. Change the search to run against both the app title and the description
  3. Weigh the results such that matches in the title are higher than those matches in the description
  4. As it is currently... matches for apps with both "keyword A" AND "keyword B" weigh more than results that match on "keyword A" OR "keyword B"... it is important that this is not lost when enabling search on descriptions

At the same time, it would be nice to try and handle the keyword stuffing issue as well... I'm not sure if this should be done when approving app descriptions (e.g. strip out obvious stuffing) or as part of the AppWorld query... where descriptions stuffed with keywords rank lower... e.g. stop abuse/gaming of the system.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer

Thank you man for your feedback.

I totally agree with you. It took me a lot realize.

Hope App World team solve this Smiley Happy

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

See this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Search-by-name/td-p/1673845

Vote for issue: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-580

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

Thanks! I thought I was the only experiencing this Smiley Tongue