Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile / Vodafone

How does RIM support its users, when a BB is stolen? How to get a PIN blacklisted?

Hi,

this is my first post, I have been using a BB for almost 3 years now. I was always very satisfied, never needed any help.

On a recent trip to Bulgaria, my phone got stolen by two gipsy girls at a bus stop.

Luckily, no important data was on the phone and it was turned off at the time of theft.

I bought that BB 9700 from my local provider T-Mobile here in Germany.

When using a BB you entrust RIM with lots of information about yourself, since almost all of your non-telephone communication is routed via RIM servers. This can be seen as a downside, but it certainly also has an upside.

Since it is a closed system, where RIM also sells the hardware, they control which hardware can be used with their servers.

When I called up my provider to get my IMEI and more important BB PIN blacklisted, I was told that this is not a service offered by RIM. After he had checked with the t-mobile support team, he said that he was told, that RIM has no interest in blacklisting PINs from stolen BB since they make their money by selling the BB service and make no money by selling the hardware.

In his words, he said that RIM counts on these Bulgarian thieves to become future customers by paying for a BB option/ service plan.

A BB can only be blacklisted if it was made for enterprise, but mine wasn't. But then it has to be done by the companies system admin.

Is this true? Does RIM count on thieves to be future customers (or those, who thieves sell to)?

Is there another way in which I can make the BB unusable or at least reduce its functionality to phone only, since IMEI blacklisting does not work around the globe?

I must really say that I am very disappointed at the moment, because I always felt that I am a little more on the safe side by using a BB instead of an Iphone. Especially, since I had to fight, to be able to keep the BB and not get an Iphone like every one else.

Hopefully, one of you can prove t-mobile business customer service wrong and there is a way to ruin the thieves experience with my BB 9700.

To be clear: I have proof of purchase (sold by t-mobile, device is branded, but not locked), I have PIN and IMEI and everything else, which is printed on the box.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How does RIM support its users, when a BB is stolen? How to get a PIN blacklisted?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please start here:

Also know that whoever you spoke to at your provider was, IMHO, horribly trained and should be reported to their management. Telling you what they did is deplorable, and possibly libelous.

What each carrier does in this situation is not controlled by RIM...rather, it is controlled by the providers themselves. You need to contact them again and escalate to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................