Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Koodo

How to Connect to University Wi-Fi?

Hello everyone!

I have a problem regarding connection to my university Wi-Fi.

After clicking on Set Up Wi-Fi Network on my Curve 9300, I get a list of possible connections. When I click on the connection I typically use with my laptop, I am confronted with an array of things that I am not quite familiar with. After punching in my user name and password (in order to connect to the university Wi-Fi) and pressing connect, it says "Please specify a CA certificate." When I go to the CA Certificate: section to select a certificate, I get a long list of things. This is where I don't understand what is happening or what to do.

Could someone kindly explain to me what certain terms such as Enterprise Sub-Type, CA certificate, Inner link security, Token, Server subject, and Server SAN mean in the context of Wi-Fi security and what I could do to connect to my university Wi-Fi with my BlackBerry please? Thank you very much!

It was much easier connecting to my home Wi-Fi, as all I had to do was punch in a WEP key one time and I was set. What is difference between my home Wi-Fi and the universitiy's Wi-Fi?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: How to Connect to University Wi-Fi?

Without knowing the specifics of your univeristy wifi setup its hard to help. Your best bet is to speak to the IT department for their advice on setting it up.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: How to Connect to University Wi-Fi?

Hello!

I don't know if this helps, but in the list of connections, it says WPA2 Enterprise under the network name. Also, when I choose the connection, Enterprise Sub-Type: is on PEAP by default. I need my university ID and password too.

By the way, why is it different when I connect to the university network with my BlackBerry versus my laptop (just need ID and password for using laptop)?

Kevin