Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: How to set the Tour 9630 keyboard to auto-lock

Unfortunately, that can't be changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: I want totally manual lock

John - It is a matter of preference.  Because you find the top button more convenient doesn't mean the entire user community should as well.  I personally found the previous way (use of the lock icon) much easier.  And, clearly I'm not alone.  It makes no sense eliminate an option so many users were used to.  If anything, they should be providing MORE options, not less.

My Device: Tour

Re: How to I set the Tour 9630 keyboard to auto-lock

I couldn't agree more Carterdill!  John Clark has done nothing but belittle users who simply prefer the old method to lock the keyboard. The top lock button is weak and sometimes difficult (kind of like John Clark).

I vote to bring back the old lock icon and get rid of the John Clark button!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Oh, give me a break.  What's weak is people signing up on a forum that is used for peer-peer help, just to complain about a feature change.  You have one or two posts and you choose to belittle ME for trying to assist YOU and others with features on the device that I DID NOT CHANGE!

There is virtually NO difference between Lock and the old Standby.  It moved from one button to the other and now doesn't say "standby" and doesn't require the button to be held.

It's changed!  Get over it and move on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II

Here's some reading for those that just can't seem to handle all this...

Solutions: 6,377
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

billydlyons wrote:

I couldn't agree more Carterdill!  John Clark has done nothing but belittle users who simply prefer the old method to lock the keyboard. The top lock button is weak and sometimes difficult (kind of like John Clark).

I vote to bring back the old lock icon and get rid of the John Clark button!

billydlyons,

So what if John Clark whined and complained along with you about the change the feature instead of actually passing along some workarounds and other methods to the same thing?

Would that change anything? Would it make your lock icon reappear?

I agree, get over it. It's old news.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

Re: I want totally manual lock

Make me ashamed to share the same surname.  I'd venture a guess that I have first dibs on it.  OS and feature changes are a fact of ife.  If you can't adapt to change get a vanilla phone and not a device that changes OS.  The feature set on two tin cans is immutable and won't upset your apple cart and should be available in any community recycle bin.

This a peer to peer user to user board.  John cannot change your feature set back.  He gave a work around and explained that there is no real difference in the net effect.  You can get back into your comfort zone by simply going back to an earlier OS.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
My Device: Tour 9630

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new Tour running OS bundle v5.0.0.591 and I have a few questions that I would like to have answered by anyone who says the current 5.0 one-touch lock/unlock method is better than having to press "*" + "Call" to unlock.

First of all, many of you are assuming that everyone else's BBs are functioning the same way as your own; perfectly; which is a mistake.

What if my Tour does not lock upon holstering even though it is configured to? Mine NEVER has.

What if my Tour unlocks by itself either upon or after holstering even if it was manually locked by me? I have seen it unlock as I slide it into the holster.

What if my Tour can be unlocked while holstered simply by pressing the holster at or near where the top left lock button resides? I would frankly prefer to disable that button and go back to "*" + "Call" to unlock.

All of these things are happening with my Tour and everything I have mentioned makes the device highly susceptible to key entry, even while holstered simply by me moving the wrong way (or maybe the wind blowing, which would be an act of God I guess and might get Verizon off the hook). I have pulled the phone from the holster and seen numbers and names arbitrarily displayed on the screen just waiting to be called.

Moreover, I suspect that the constant activity is a major contributing factor to the absolutely crappy battery life of this device. I have had to charge up to three times daily after very little use. I had it charging until 4AM (was working late) and then unplugged and let sit fully charged, unused, until 10AM. The device was completely dead by 10AM with no services except default ones running in the background.

So if anyone thinks it is rather stupid to have a keypad lock that requires a little more effort then touching one button, think again.

Don't get me wrong, the Tour is really nice, but has some issues yet. I hope RIM can get these kinks out.

Also, for those of you who are wondering why I haven't called my carrier yet, well...that happens today.

My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Before upgrading my BB tour to ver 5.0.0.624, I used to lock the phone by pressing the lock button on the upper left corner and a lock icon appeared. To un-lock, I pressed * and send keys.  Very simple and convenient.

After the OS updated to 5.0.0.624 and if I use the lock button on the left upper corner, it locked the KEYBOARD with a msg "Keyboard is locked. Press the Lock button to unlock".

The problem if I get a missed call or notification of e-mail, the kbd get un-lock and that is a problem since the phone could dial out accidently.  

I do not want to use or enable the password function and like to old way to lock the phone.

I also down loaded an apps called Autolock Custom Addition which I was told will enable the simple locking function on BB tour without setting the password.  The apps DOES NOT appear to work since when I press the lock key (upper left corner), the phone does not lock.  I set all the permission to allow but still not working.

How do I get the simple lock function to work? Or how do I get Autolock Custom Addition to work?

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

@photo,

The button on the top left of your device does this and it is much easier than toggling for the lock icon. Why dont you like it?