Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: MTN

How to adjust my phone's settings to make international calls

I have a Blackberry 9300 which I bought in South Africa through MTN service provider.  Before I left I went to the local store and ask them to activate roaming so that I am able to make calls when I an abroad.  I flew via London to the United States. I am in Oklahoma at the moment.  When I was in London, I was able to connect and make calls to South Africa.  Since I have arrived in the United States, I am not able to make calls to South Africa.  I have tried all the "manage connections options" and my phone do display some of the MTN partners in the USA, but they don't want so sinchronize and connect. I have already take out the battery and simcard a few times to reboot the phone.  Please help!!!!! 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How to adjust my phone's settings to make international calls

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From my experience, I fear that nothing can be done for you until your BB returns to it's home carrier network (MTN). I traveled extensively in the past, including many international trips. For two trips in a row, I had no proper roaming services...my carrier had attempted to properly configure them, but they did not do so. And, once traveling, it seems that nothing can be done to alter the configuration, as it's controlled by the home carrier network.

So, as I said I had two failed trips...after the 2nd, we managed to escalate with the carrier far enough to reach someone who could actually properly configure my international roaming, and it was finally successful. They have to configure it for each specific country to which you will travel and you have to be sure you are roaming on the proper carrier that has the correct partnership/configuration from your home carrier. But, as I said, if things do not work properly while you are traveling, it is unlikely that your home carrier will be able to do anything to correct it until your BB returns to your home network.

From what you describe, it sounds like MTN properly configured you for the UK, but did not do so for the USA.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................