Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: AT&T

How to change the keypad unlock key?

I just upgraded my blackberry curve 8520 smartphone to the newest software upgrade. Now when I lock the keypad I need to press the mute button to unlock it. My problem is, when I put the phone in my holster it always unlocks itself by rubbing the mute button in my holster. Is there any way to change the button to unlock the keypad?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: How to change the keypad unlock key?

No, it can't be changed unless you downgrade the OS back to the old version.

When the device goes in the holster, doesn't it have a magnet that puts it to sleep anyway?  When you pull it out of the holster with the sleep magnet it will come out of the holster unlocked.  That is by design.

This all assumes no password is set on the device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Curve 8520

How do you downgrade? and other than the unlock key ..how else does this change ur BB settings?

My Device: Bold 9000

[ Edited ]

If anyone at RIM reads these postings let me state that changing the keypad unlock was a really bad idea. Pressing the * + Send key combination worked well with one hand, was quick and I never ever unlock the keypad by accident. Changing to the mute key has made it difficult to unlock the keypad with one hand, especially when there is a cover on the phone.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9000

i share your frustration, not sure i'd call it a downgrade, more like an upgrade back to the old version....i'm kicking myself for installing it.  I haven't noticed any benefit but lots of wasted time figuring out things that worked well for me before.

with this constant pressing of the mute button, somehow my phone has gone into permanent mute, as least so far as the ringer is concerned....can't get the phone to ring.  Calls come in ok, vibrate works, but no ringer.

If you find instructions on how to go back to the previous operating system please post.thanks

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Objectivist, did you update to 5.0.0.822? If so, that OS has a known issue with soundS and the workaround is to fowngrade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: blackberry curve 5820
My Carrier: o2

I know this is an old post but I have discovered how to stop this problem as my husband was ringing or texting me continuously!

go to password lock put a password on then change one of the side keys to password lock through keyboard in settings.  when you push the mute button the phone remains locked, To open prerss scroll button and instead of opening the phone you will get the old screen unlock emegency cancel ,  press unlock and then put in password.  

New Contributor
My Carrier: MTN

Hi, I had the same problem when I upgraded to software version 5. I took the phone back to my service provider and they have reloaded version 4.6.1.272 on the phone and the phone is working perfectly again. I was very unhappy with V5 as it changed the SMS layout and numerous other features on the phone. It also deleted all games on the phone.

The service provider told me that you should be able to downgrade your own software version by going onto the desktop software on the PC. I have not yet found out how to do this but it may be worth looking into as it will save time going and waiting at the service provider. It took them about an hour to downgrade my software.

Good luck.

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

Many thanks for your advice, i was close to hitting the mute button with a mallet i got that mad. No matter how hard i pressed it just wouldn't let me unlock, now i've done this password etc no problems, thanks again.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Orange

HELP!!!

I have the same problem. Yesterday I wanted to add an input language to my phone and it made me download the newest version.
And now I have to press on the Mute bottom to unlock and it's terrible...
I read the "Password lock" thing, but didn't quite understand how to do it.
Can anyone please please wrtite step by step what to do...
I would so so appreciate it!
Thanks Smiley Happy