Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to contact support?? :S

When a device is bought from a retailer and not a carrier (say for use with a prepaid plan + wifi), how do you contact RIM for support/warranty?

I searched everywhere but could not find any number like there is for say Apple or Nokia devices.

I am currently located in UAE.

Thanks

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: How to contact support?? :S

Hi andy06,

Please refer to this page for out of warranty options:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/devices/warranty.jsp#tab_tab_repair-return

Cheers,

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'm interested in the in-warranty support options for areas primarily out of N America (where RIM does not seem to have any contact numbers listed at all!)

I'm interested in the in-warranty support options for areas primarily out of N America (where RIM does not seem to have any contact numbers listed at all!)

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

RIM does not directly service or support BBs, not even for warranty coverage. The carriers and authorized resellers are responsible for servicing the BBs that they sell, and can escalate issues into RIM as needed. Therefore, your warranty is serviced by the shop from which you purchased your BB -- assuming, of course, they are an authorized reseller. If they are not, then you indeed fall into the out-of-warranty information provided above. I suggest you contact the shop for assistance.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

I dont know if I agree with your statement here. I was told by 3 different Telus reps that RIM does the repair work. I had to send my phone to RIM according to Telus.

Or is Telus lying to me?

to RIM and their devices.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

wings69 wrote:

I dont know if I agree with your statement here. I was told by 3 different Telus reps that RIM does the repair work. I had to send my phone to RIM according to Telus.

Or is Telus lying to me?

to RIM and their devices.

Hmmm...interesting...probably just a shade of meaning. You contacted Telus first, and they put you into whatever channel they use for escalating. Sometimes the carriers allow the user to directly work with RIM, other times they do not. But, the start of the process fits within my understanding -- it started with Telus.

Now, if Telus did not provide you any further information about how to send it to RIM, then they are indeed not being accurate with you as far as I understand...they must front the process, even if it is simply to provide you the proper information (e.g., shipping address, RMA number, etc.) so that you can send it to where they have directed you.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Telus refused to give me any info on RIM. They told me RIM will not communicate with me. only them. They would not even allow me to send a small letter describing my problems, again they said RIM wont read it because its communication from me.

They would not let me send in the battery cover either so RIM could see the cover clicks open with your thumb. They took my battery out, the battery cover, my sim card, my memory card, wrote small notes on the "issue to repair" section of the report and would not even elaborate the problems because they said if it's too long RIM won't read it.

For those who live in Calgary, this all happened at the Connect store in Chinook Center on the lower level. The sales rep who helped me was rude, ignorant and seemed as if I was inconvienecing her by asking for a repair. his store is supposed to be a "Telus Product Care" center but they sure didn't act like it.

As well when I asked to have the RIM technicians notes and the tests they performed to be sent back with my phone, they again said no, RIM won't do that.

From what I have read, the volume issue and dropped call issue seems to be a software issue more than hardware and when I asked Telus about that, they said RIM wouln't fix software issues, I would have to wait until they decide to release a fix if at all. They never even touched on the hardware defects.

I even got an email from Telus where told me to buy another phone and stay away from RIM products. I was absolutely blown away after reading that and I think RIM should be aware that Telus reps are telling customers to stay away from their products. They had NO ISSUE with RIM when they wanted me to resign my contract and go with the Torch but as soon as it fails, they all of a sudden do????

Here's exactly what Telus sent me:

"you may consider purchasing another device (maybe stay away from RIM), and swap it onto your account. I have placed a note on your account to waive the $25.00 swap fee if you change devices."

I really hope RIM helps me but they will not reply to my emails so far so I have no reason at this point to not believe Telus. They told me they will not respond to me, and so far RIM hasn't.

This whole experience with my first ever Blackberry has been a nightmare that seems to never end. I wish I went with the Iphone now, at least Apple would do an over the counter exchange and at least Apple has stores we can go to and they will communicate with us. Unfortunately, I can't afford an Iphone now. I really hope RIM helps.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi there,

If you took the device into your local Telus authorized retailer, then they simply are not doing their job and are being lazy.  Try contacting Telus directly for support by calling *611 from your device, or by calling 403-387-5825 if you live in Calgary.

Unfortunately I`ve been hearing of some users having issues at Telus authorized retailers.  Note: these are not corporate stores and instead are owned by a seperate company.  If you`re not satisfied with the service you received from the Connect store in Calgary, I would strongly suggest you contact Telus directly using the numbers I provided.  They should be able to provide much better service, and if not, ask to speak with Loyalty and Retention.  Loyalty and Retention can often help when it comes to customer service issues and they can do the most in helping you feel that something is actually being done.

By the way, if you call in to tech support, if they aren not able to resolve the issue, you can request that the issue is escalated.  I know they don`t usually like to do that, but they will.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

I tried calling Telus, they sent me to the Chinook location because it was their "Product Care Center" in other words, their store not an independant so you would think it would be better.

I just got off a 90 minute call with Telus account retention dept and they were no help. They tried giving me every excuse in the world as to why they lied until it finally boiled down to them telling me my wife and I heard wrong. It turns out Telus does NOT send the phones to RIM, they send them to an authorised repair depot somewhere in Canada that they cannot tell me where.

They said all I can do is wait.

As well, they do not warranty hardware issues like the battery cover being lose or the slider being loose or the finish peeling off. They aid it is automatically considered "abuse" and they will only fix software issues. 

The Account Rention department gave me 2 options,

1- cancel my account and pay $400.00 but the phone is locked and useless anywhere else

2- live with the phone and the state it is in.

they were as useless as the 8 other Telus employees I was transferred back and forth. In fact, the guy was as much a jerk as the store people were. He kept trying to put everything on me.

I am no further ahead than I was 90 minutes or so ago when I started to find answers.

I was told they send the phones to RIM, I had no reason to think anything different as I had no experience with BB products. Turns out they told me what I wanted to hear to get me out of the store because they dont make money off warranty issues and taking the time to deal with them.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I know its not the info you want to hear, but what you've heard now is actually correct from my understanding and previous experience as well.

Sorry they weren`t more helpful.  If, when you get the device back, you continue to have software related problems, let us know and we'll hopefully be able to help.  Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!