Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 8900

How to decided

hi, I am hew here, and recently I wan to buy one, and 8900 is my favorie

so anyone could give me some suggestion or talk about the feeling when using it。

Thanks !

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to decided

The 8900 is a great device, very dependable.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I am currently using a 8900 curve. Its a great device. It can do anything in the world. With a 3.2 MP camera you can shoot at any light. The phone works great. You should go for it. And plus the BlackBerry Messanger makes it more fun. Its a complete business and personal device that can do almost anything.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

I would recommend both against a BlackBerry and an 8900.

The 'ball' is a tiny mouse type ball that has extremely flimsy metal clips underneath.  It breaks very easily and sticks and breaks.  Its considered one of the lowest and worst tracking system on a phone.  It is not user accessible and it is not cleanable.  If you have problems with the trackball you have to pay for a repair each time.

The software is barely useable.  RIM's implimentation of Java is slow at best and the unit takes forever to boot up with any version of the OS.  They have barely any free applications and both the Corporate Applications and User Games are extremely buggy and barely usable.  Expect any decent applications to cost a minimum of 10$ and frequent crashes and frustrations.  And most of those applications are the wrong screen size and will display 'static' outside the edge of the image. 

Updates are extremely rare and far and inbetween (you almost always have to cheat to get a better OS version once you buy a BB - they have your money, they dont care after that).  Speaking of which - RIM will not provide support without your credit card, and they share an IQ of about 12 points amunst a group of 20 people in some random country and support will always frustrate you.

Security is always an issue.  Your entire BlackBerry can be 'imaged' to a PC with minimal effort (I managed to image my entire OS including contacts within 20 minutes of purchase).  They added an 'unbreakable' password feature that. ... when someone gets it wrong (3 times by default) - the device simply formats your phone so the theif can have a clean start with it.  They pretend to have some enhanced security by having the Mac Address and PIN on file - but they really don't do anything with it (I learnt this from experience) and GPS tracking cannot be used to track your stolen phone --- even with third party programs (because once your password is entered wrong, it formats itself for them).  RIM has been rumooured to encourage phone loss because it raises sales which adds up at 400-700 per phone.  What is interesting about the claims about the password feature is that no one 'needs' to break the code - entering it wrong gives ownership of the phone to the theif.  The closest you can ever get for support is a link to the forums to fix their software problems.

Do yourself a favour - purchase *anything* else and feel good knowing you supported a more innovative company.  RIM is expecting some of its greatest drops in sales to date - development, styling and lack of connection to audiences directly affects this.

-ed.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

The best thing to do, is ask yourself "what do I need/want in a phone?" and match that up with whatever your price range is...

Failing that.... go with the most powerful/shiniest/expensive one you can... always a good choice Smiley Tongue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter