Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

How to delete black berry messenger...help please...os 6 bold 9700 pointless messenger

OK so I have the Bold 9700 from tmobile..2 days ago I was able to delete blackberry messenger..then some stupid update that blackberry said I have to do on the desktop manager reinstalled it and now I cant delete it...i do NOT use messenger at all..it just takes up battery time and is running 24/7 after installing the stupid update (pointless) I cant delete it as its included in the core updates now..and was separate program before..Ive rebooted and tried it...Ive pulled the battery and retried it..can someone help me delete the program that is pointless...Im pretty close to selling this thing(cant do anything on it anyway) and getting an android....BB is trying too hard with theses superficial pointless updates...Ive tried to delete it from application in the settings and nothing

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How to delete black berry messenger...help please...os 6 bold 9700 pointless messenger

Since it's now part of the core applications list, you can't delete it (which I believe you have already stated).  You can hide the icon so it's like the application isn't even there.

Highlight the icon with your cursor and press the menu key.  From the list, select Hide.  Presto, out of sight out of mind!  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Re: How to delete black berry messenger...help please...os 6 bold 9700 pointless messenger

not that easy...hide the icon it still runs...and why all of a sudden is it that I cant delete it...for those 2 days I didnt have to charge my battery at all durring the day when I didnt have the BBM on the phone at all...hide the icon will not take care of the problem...I hope they find a solution..I got duped with that "update"...I want it gone

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

If you're not happy with the update, you can revert back to your previous version.

Plug your phone into your PC via USB.  Open Desktop Manager and click Device at the top.  From the drop-down menu, select Update.  A prompt will appear saying that your phone is already up to date.  Just below that, click Show Other Versions.  Your current version (the one you don't like) will appear at the top of the list and it will be checked.  Uncheck it and check the version directly below it.  Click Update and within minutes you'll be rocking with your previous version.

Now doesn't that feel better?  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

no such luck just tried that and it didnt work...wish they wouldnt lock in a software like that...that app should be optional..if anyone has a fix let me know

Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

Heehee.  I had that problem too & was told it was impossible.  I hate BBM it always interferes w/ my regular texting & annoys me!  Sooo...I scoured the internet & found there IS a solution!!  It's a very sneaky backdoor way but it works!!

1. Install BlackBerry App World (if you don’t have it already)
  2. Open BlackBerry App World
  3. Select and click the magnifying glass icon
  4. Type in MESSENGER
  5. Select and click BlackBerry Messenger
  6. Click INSTALL
  7. Select YES  to replacing the current version
  8. Reboot the phone when prompted
  9. Go to the Applications menu (Options—>Applications)
  10. Select Add-On from the drop down list
  11. Select and click BlackBerry Messenger
  12. Click DELETE
  13. Reboot the phone when prompted
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10

If it's already installed, why not just uninstall/delete it via (in OS6) Options | Device | Application Management ? This is what I've just done, and it's no longer there in the App Management list, once the phone has rebooted, following uninstallation.

----------------------------------------------------
Q10 | Vodafone UK | London
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

I believe that will only work if you've installed a version from AppWorld. The original version that comes with the OS doesn't show on that list to be removed.

Contributor

Yes it does b/c you are replacing or "updating" the one that is part of the core w/ the one from BB App World.  It will ask you if you want to replace the current version & you say yes.  I've done it about 5 times now as I've been trying to fix some things w/ my phone & works every time.  Not a trace of BBM.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

pooka7896: Right. My answer was directed at IanKR.