Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

How to determine if battery is dead or if connection is bad

First, I love my Torch 9800.  I have not had issues with battery life, though, I do try my best to keep programs and other "things" from running unless I specifically ask for them to run.

Today, up popped a message saying I had 20% of battery life left. (yes, a very useful app.)  I was on my way to see my uncle in the hospital for probably the last time and I would never take a phone into anyplace where I am spending time with people.

This seemed like a good time to charge the battery.  I did so.  The red light came on (upper righ area), then it went off and I guessed it was set to run.  Instead I have nothing, not even an ounce of life in this machine.

I need to find a way if it is the battery (I am so pissed at myself for not having two batteries, I always have) or the phone.  I used to have Curve, very nice, but, on the curve, the connector broke.  It wiggled around and wouldn't take anything connection in which it would be charged.

Before I go and buy a battery, is there a way to test that battery before purchasiing one?  I doulbt it, but, thought I would ask.  I really do love this phone.

Thank you for your kindness in helping me out..

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How to determine if battery is dead or if connection is bad

Hi there,

Try plugging it into the OEM wall charger for an hour or so and then see if it will reboot. If not, next step is to try a battery pull. Remove the battery for 15-30 seconds, then reinsert. What happens?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9220

Re: How to determine if battery is dead or if connection is bad

Hi, i have a curve 9220 and my phone has the same problem. I was charging it last night at around 11pm but it was on with I think 20-25% more battery, I woke up at around 12am an hour after, and I decided to check on it, I was shocked to see that it has a steady red led on and it won't turn on.

I decided to unplug it and remove the battery. I woke up again at 6 am and tried to bring back the battery hoping that it will work but still it doesn't. I plugged it again for about 20 mins then the led started lighting up for 5-15 seconds and then nothing happens next. After removing and inserting the battery, an icon appeared with a red x mark. Until now I can't turn on my blackberry. I need help please :smileysad: I've been using my phone for 10 months now and I'm handling it with proper care. Thank you!