Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

How to downgrade blackberry bold 9700 from os 6.0 to os 5.0?

[ Edited ]

Hello, I feel this is the last spot for me to find an answer to my question.

I accidently upgraded my phone to os 6.0, because I thought I was upgrading blackberry software for my pc, but in the process it changed my phone os to something else because it was still connected with usb cable to my pc. I personally enjoyed the simplicity of os 5.0 and would be very happy if someone could explain how I can downgrade it back to os 5.0 from os 6.0. I did call T-Mobile and they could not help me, so if you know something I should do, please reply to my post. Thank You.

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to downgrade blackberry bold 9700 from os 6.0 to os 5.0?

1. Delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.

If you manually installed the OS, if you did the Desktop Manager or wireless upgrade, go to step 2

2. Then download and install the older version of the OS. BlackBerry Operating System Downloads

3. Install the older OS to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply, I did visit the link, but I cannot download anything other than os 6.0. Please let me know where to look under and what to click on to download the os 5.0 for my Blackberry Bold 9700.

I did check other providers like AT&T and they do have the os 5.0, but it is from a different carrier, so I am not sure if it will work with my phone. Yesterday I talked to T-Mobile tech-staff and they informed me that I can install os 5.0 from Blackberry 8900, but today a different T-Mobile tech-staff informed me that I cannot use that software because it will not work with my touch pad, so I do not know what to do.

Thanks once again for your information.

No no, you canNOT install an OS from a different model. it must be for the 9700.

You can install an OS from a different carrier with no big deal. Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

So, grab that ATT version. And follow those instructions... you'll be fine and notice no difference.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone Essar

i lost all my phone data also with it.... how do i recover it and also my fon eis not switching on pls help

You lost your phone data "with it". What is "it"?

If your "fon" does not switch on, please remove the battery a minute and replace it to reboot.

Have you done the downgrade?
Could you please post detailed questions so that we can try to help you with needing to decipher what you've asked?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks for your information and help, My Blackberry bold is back to os 5.0. It's very sad that T-Mobile staff and Blackberry staff which attempted to help me over the phone did not know how to downgrade the operating system. Now I feel I know more then they do. Thanks once again.

My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: RIM

I am also to downgrade my bb9700 bold from os 6.0 to os 5.0. Would u plz lemme know how to do that....... ????
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Did you read message 2? That is how to do it.

My Carrier: Mobinil

Hello, ive noticed that u know a lot about downgrading a blackberry phone.

I looked at ur steps because i also want to do the same. i have the blackberry bold 9700 and i accenditily upgraded it to version 6. i want to downgrade it back to software version 5. something... 

my problem is, i have a macbook pro, so what u wrote about program c file and delete this and that, i cant find these things and i dont have exe files. 

Can u help me with this? do u know how i could downgrade my blackberry using my macbook.