Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: How to downgrade blackberry bold 9700 from os 6.0 to os 5.0?

Mac users are not able to manually upgrade/downgrade the os on their phone.

But you can try the following way:

Connect your phone to your computer and start the Desktop Manager.

Click on Update or check for updates. It wil check and tell you no updates are available. You might also get the option to view other versions and you may find OS5 versions in the list with Downgrade besides them. Select the OS5 which is on the top of the list as it is the latest OS5 version available to you. Your phone will be downgraded to OS5.

Hope this helps. Please let me now as to how it goes.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

I have a bold 9650 and did a wireless update to OS 6 on my phone and I really don't like it. I read your instructions and downgraded to OS 5 on my PC but I'm kinda confused on how to sync my phone and my PC so that OS 5 is on my phone again. Can you help?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Did you read and do the steps in message 2?

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: rock

[ Edited ]

I have bold 9700 one day my ph showed error "JVM 102- error" thn i upgraded my ph but after that its os6 and in this version i cant save my important documents like(excel,word,pdf files) and there was one software password keeper i lost tht also i wnt this software also. If i downgrade my ph from os6 to os5 so can i get everything like before. Please help me out from this..... and if i am trying to download any excel or word or pdf file the error message on the screen is (You are about to download a file that cannot be  viewed on your Blackberry device. Continue?)  So what can i do now its very irritating......

My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

I did read that part however I never had OS 6 on my PC only on my phone, so I can't find the files you mention to uninstall/ install. What should I do if I have OS 5 on my PC and OS 6 on my phone? Thanks

Forums Advisor III

Uninstall OS5 from your computer (it should be listed in the add/remove programs).

Go to the Downloads site, and download OS6. Then, install it on your computer. Now you have OS 6 on your computer.

One note, I am not talking about the version of Desktop Manager, I am talking about the actual OS for your device.

Forums Advisor III

bullzeye123 wrote:

I have bold 9700 one day my ph showed error "JVM 102- error" thn i upgraded my ph but after that its os6 and in this version i cant save my important documents like(excel,word,pdf files) and there was one software password keeper i lost tht also i wnt this software also. If i downgrade my ph from os6 to os5 so can i get everything like before. Please help me out from this..... and if i am trying to download any excel or word or pdf file the error message on the screen is (You are about to download a file that cannot be  viewed on your Blackberry device. Continue?)  So what can i do now its very irritating......

What happens when you try to save your documents? Have you gone t6o the DataViz website and checked for an update to the "Office" to Go applications? There is a newer version (free) than the one that came on my phone.

Yes, you can go back to OS 5. Whether or not you get everything back depends on the quality of your backup.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G 9300
My Carrier: MTN-Nigeria

Hi. I did my upgrade to OS 6 on my 9300 using a PC at work. I no longer have access to that PC but I want to downgrade using another. Please how can I do it, considering there's no OS 6 to uninstall on the PC? Thanks
New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: TMobile

[ Edited ]

Couple of questions. When you say "use the control panel to remove the OS"...I'm not clear on which things I need to remove. I have these Blackberry-oriented applications listed:

• Blackberry Desktop Software 6.1
  • Blackbery Device Updater
  • Blackbery Device Software v6.0.0 for the Blackberry 9700.

I take it I just need to remove the last one, right? Or do I need to remove other stuff too?

Also, am I better of doing it this way (as you described in post #2 on this thread) or am I better off using Desktop Manager, choosing Device | Update | View Ohter Versions and then selecting one of the 5.0 versions listed? I'm also not sure of what's listed here. For example, I have "5.0 Bundle 1209 (Version 5.0.0.714  platform 5.1.0.146) (downgrade)" and two other apparent downgrade versions of 5.0. I'm not clear on whether these are complete versions of the OS and all apps or just partial "updates"...

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: TMobile

Okay, wound up using method #2, just restoring the last copy of 5.0 I had in my "Update" (downgrade) list in the Blackberry Desktiop Manager.