Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: rogers
Accepted Solution

How to find out if my PIN is free or still locked?

I bought a used unlocked blackberry, I'm using it only as a phone right now

I don't have data on it but will be 'hooking it up' to full blackberry data services in a few months when I have to return a work BB.

How can I find out if the PIN on this one is locked or free?

Right now I can still return it to the seller if there's a problem, but in a month if I try to connect it and can't, I'll be out of luck. 

The guy gave me the original receipt and says it was never connected, but I want to be sure.  I tried contacting my carrier (Fido) but the guy didn't know anything about a PIN number.

Thanks,

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How to find out if my PIN is free or still locked?

Are you referring to ensuring that your phone is unlocked? If so, if the phone was a Rogers phone and you currently have it working on Fido, it's an unlocked phone. Unlocking the phone is required to use the phone on any different carrier.

Now then, if you want to make sure that the PIN hasn't been blacklisted as a stolen phone, thus ensuring that your BlackBerry data will work at a later point in time, the easiest way would be to contact the original wireless service provider (the one that shows on the splash screen when the phone first boots up). You can then explain to them that you purchased the device used and just want to make sure that the phone has not been stolen, and thus blacklisted, on their end. They should be able to look up that info reasonably easily. Note: you will likely need the device IMEI, which is behind the battery or you can also get it by going to Options > Device > Device and Status Information.

I hope that info helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: rogers

Re: How to find out if my PIN is free or still locked?

> Now then, if you want to make sure that the PIN hasn't been blacklisted as a stolen phone, thus ensuring that your BlackBerry data will work at a later point in time, the easiest way would be to contact the original wireless service provider (the one that shows on the splash screen when the phone first boots up).

Hi,

No carrier info shows when the device boots up, but in playing around trying to hook up gmail, the phone redirected to a Bell page.  I called Bell and the agent said the PIN isn't locked to them, and was already associated with my email address.  So I guess that's good news.

Thanks for the help,