Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: CMCC

How to fix GPRS connection to use these third part software on 9650?

Hello,

I live in ShangHai, China and now I have just owned one 9650 in  from Sprint in USA.

Personally speaking, this device performs perfectly, except GPRS network connection recovery.

After I pull its battery for hard reboot, those software(for example, google map, goonuu) based on GPRS do work well.

Once GPRS network is lost in some specifical area(with no GPRS signal), all software based on GPRS can not access internet, unless pulling battery.

If I wanna access internet, I will have to endlessly pull battery to fix the GPRS access.

My question is how to fix the GPRS network in an easy way, without hard reboot, which kills a long time.

By the way, even though GPRS network is disconnected, phone-call is not impacted yet.

Here I list some information for your reference.

Thank you for your attention!

Device info

Your carrier: CMCC, ShangHai, China

Model info and OS version: 9650, V5.0.0.975

Apps and free space

File free before and after a battery remove/replace. Smiley Frustratedorry, how to retrieve this information?

Did a battery pull fix your issue?           Yes

Apps installed and their version if possible.      Google MAP, 4.4

BT device model/version:  Sorry, how to retrieve this information?

When writing your question

After I pull its battery for hard reboot, those software(for example, google map, goonuu) based on GPRS do work well.

Once GPRS network is lost in some specifical area(with no GPRS signal), all software based on GPRS can not access internet, unless pulling battery.

If I wanna access internet, I will have to endlessly pull battery to fix the GPRS access.

My question is how to fix the GPRS network in an easy way, without hard reboot, which kills a long time.

What is worth a thousand words

no picture so far.

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: How to fix GPRS connection to use these third part software on 9650?

Hi there,

For a start, GPRS, EDGE, and 3G are only internet based, so if you lose them, but still have signal, then you will still be able to use calls and texts.

Now, if you drop out of a GPRS etc area, then any apps or internet based usage, will not work. You could try going to Manage Connections and click Mobile Network and wait till the Green tick goes, and then click it again until it reappears. This might reconnect your internet
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for quick reply.

I have tried your suggestion twice as follows, but it still does not work:

1. Mobile network was selected  before with green light is on, so I have just clicked to remove the select mark for the first time try;

2. To wait about 2 minutes, green light becomes OFF;

3. To wait about 2 minutes, to re-click the Mobile network item;

4. To wait about 2 minutes, green light comes back to ON;

5. To repeats step 1 to 4 ;

6. To try GOOGLE MAP, it fails.

So how many times should I try this method and how long should I wait between each try?

Could you please give me more details or other ways to fix this problem?

I highly appreciate your strong support!

Super Contributor

It should work with only 1 try, what does it say in the corner? "Gprs", "edge" or "3g"? Or does it have capital letters?
Contributor

it says "edge".

it says "edge".

I tried it more than 10 times, it always fails to access the internet.

it says "edge".

I tried it more than 10 times, it always fails to access the internet.

thank you!

Super Contributor

Is it capital letters? EDGE or edge
Contributor

Hi,

"edge" in lower case, and the radio signal strength indicator is displayed as the maximum.

These days I am persecuted by the network disconnection.

I am wondering what the difference is between hard reboot device and turn off/on network connection, from phone communication development point of view?   I do not know the handshaking protocols between the phone and the carrier.

Exactly speaking, GRPS network connection works well everytime I hard-reboot my phone, but fails to turn off/on network connection as you suggested yesterday. I performed this operation when the phone is located on the same place.

Thank you!

Super Contributor

Internet functions will only work if it is capital letters so there is your problem Smiley Happy speak to your carrier about that
Contributor

Now I can access internet just after having hard rebooted a while ago, it says "edge" in lower case.

Yesterday evening, I could make phone calls but could not access internet, it still said "edge" in lower case too.

So, it seems that my device always says "edge" in lower case, no matter whether internet is accessible or not.

Thank you!

Super Contributor

This seems like a problem with your device then because it should not pick up internet unless its capital letters. Speak to your carrier!