Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

How to fix SMS in a single thread problems

On the 9700 device running OS 5.0.0.423, many users are reporting that their SMS messages all come under one name in one single thread.

Posted here are instructions for fixing this, many have used this fix and it works.

First, you need to download these items:

A. Download BBSAK 1.7 from this link.
B. DOWNLOAD THIS net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod

Remember the location on your PC where you saved this file.

Then, follow these steps:

1. Start BBSAK. If your device has a password, input the password , if not just click OK.
2. Click Read System
3. Sort by name if you want and locate "net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod"
4. Highlight "net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod" and click Remove Cod.
5. Your device reboots.
6. Click Install COD and pick the "net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod" that you download.
7. Device Reboots and you're ready to go.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Qtel - Qatar

Re: How to fix SMS in a single thread problems

[ Edited ]

Hello and first of all thank you for your post. I performed the steps detailed above to try and solve the threaded sms problem. I have a 9700 running 5.0.0.423 and i get all sms lumped in one thread. Sadly though, after completing step 6 and rebooting, my problem was not solved. Worse it created even more problems!

Now my entire sms and mms icon is completely gone from the menu. Also, a wierd glitch appeared regarding email. I use 2 emails on the device and for one of them, if i open its dedicated inbox through the menu, it shows no messages. While if I open the unified inbox, everything shows up fine. Help!

<edit>Ok, upon further inspection I realised that new messages are infact showing up correctly in both the unified inbox and the dedicated email folder, it was only the previous messages that were wiped from the email inbox. Strangely enough the second email was completely unaffected. However, I have lost the sms&mms folder and have to resort to viewing sms through the messages. I can live with that but I'm wondering if there is a way to fix it. Thanks!</edit>

<another edit> I would also advise you to add a recommendation to backup the device before performing the above steps, as I lost all of my Blackberry Messenger Contacts! I wonder when RIM will get around to fixing their garbage sms application</another edit>

New Contributor
My Carrier: STC

I have done as you said, and it has fixed the problem to some extent, but another problem I have is that I have no sms/mms icon in my screen.  I have to see my sms's in the message folder. However, the dedicated email icons are all there and working fine.

I also tried re-doing the whole exercise assuming in-complete process, and to my surprise I found there was no file as net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod in my device, which could be (my guess is) that when I deleted it the first time, the file got deleted, where as the new cod file was not uploaded to the device.

What is the solution ?

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

As outlined, i followed the steps and it looks like it helped. I have not lost any of my icons. Fingers crossed i shouldnt have a proble. But what happens when RIM decided to fix this issue. Do we also go on an use that update or what?

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

[ Edited ]

This fix (using the sms_compose app of OS 405) is terrible...

1) All my SMS messsages were gone and the whole OS was reset. You have to register all your apps again, etc. It's like installing a brand new OS...

2) It re-introduces the previous bug, which is that your contacts are not linked to your SMS anymore if you don't format your phone numbers a certain way.

Stay away from this solution Smiley Wink

The best thing to do is to format all your numbers in such a way that doesn't cause the problem. I think +123456789 works.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: etisalat

Thanks a LOT !

Contributor
My Device: Hungary - Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat

I tried this but after deleting the .cod, i wasnt able to install the .cod recommended by this thread. After ejecting the device my mobile was unusable and only displays my name- owner of the mobile. So what i did, i paste the downloaded rim_bb_sms_compose.cod on the loader or os installed in my pc. I re-upploaded the system unsing app loader. Although i had to register all the apps. I just used the back-up for my mobile. The sms & mms folder was not there but after going to the messages-options-inbox settings- uncheck sms and mms, the icon was back and everything was fixes. my phone is also running more faster and its not heating up anymore. hope this is helpful to you guys
New Contributor
My Carrier: STC

Thanks.  It solved the problem.  I went to inbox setttings and unchecked sms & mms and now can see the sms icon. 

I believe my BB9700 is back to normal working condition, and am also skeptical about future upgrades. 

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 2 9780
My Carrier: Etisalat

Guys, help!

where to find in my Windows the installation of the Blackberry OS files?

I need to to the same - BBSAK 1.7 does not save the COD provided by the thread and I don't have SMS icon.

I wiil overwrite the file directly in the Windows environment like the poster above did but I cant find the file located in the system (my Windows searh does not work so don't ask me to do that Smiley Happy

Thanks

Cheers,
Martin

Blackberry 9780 OS 6.0 subscribed on Etisalat (UAE) network
Blackberry Playbook OS 1.0.6
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

[ Edited ]

There is a new OS out (442). Hopefully it fixes the problem, otherwise we'll have to wait for 450...

I don't understand how RIM can release OS with such major problems...

EDIT It is now fixed in 442. Time to upgrade instead of to downgrade Smiley Happy
--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.