Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 990
My Carrier: Vodafone

How to get Desktop software onto my work PC - Internet downloads not allowed

Hi,

I am not allowed to access the blackberry site via my work PC to download the desktop software. I have downloaded it at home and saved the file on a USB disk, then  taken it to work and tried to load it but for some reason  an error message occurs saying something about ...possible error in file transfer...

I  did have the old pc manager with my last BB device (Torch) and I think I downloaded it when rules were less lax.

However, when I got the new phone, I removed that software as it wouldn't recognise the Bold 9990 > bit stuck now . any ideas ?

Thanks

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: How to get Desktop software onto my work PC - Internet downloads not allowed

From home, download the file again.  it sounds like the download wasn't complete or the tranfer of the file to the thumb drive had a problem.

Another option is to download the file again from home then upload it to box or dropbox.

Now you can access these links from work.

Re: How to get Desktop software onto my work PC - Internet downloads not allowed

Thank you, will try the above. When you say box or drop box do you mean my outlook email inbox ?

Not really important but thanks so much again for replying.

Regards, Amit

New Contributor

Hi, tried a repeat downlad and copy to a differnt USB / thumb disc - same problem again - seems to be an issue with the unzipping process.

I then downloaded and set up the whole program at home and I have copied all the files into a folder that I am going to put on my PC at work.
I am just wondering what file to click on to start everything rolling. I can see a "rim.dektop.exe.config" but my PC does not seem to recognise this file.
Do you have any suggestions or is it possible to obtain a copy of the unzipped program ?

Many thanks,

Amit Benjamin

Forums Veteran III

Its OK.  I've copied the file and uploaded to my dropbox account.

Here is the link:

Desktop Software v7.1.0 B39

http://tinyurl.com/ah9eaym

I downloaded it to test and it opened fine.

Thank you !

Forums Veteran III

No problem, let us know if this works for you.

Hi,

Unfortunately it didn't work. I had to eventually get somebody from IT to bypass the internet block and download it directly from the site.It seems that the software can only be unzipped with an internet connection. This is a bit of a shame as their are quite a few NHS hospitals that will not allow internnet downloads and if you can't get the desktop software by any other means it may dissuade people from getting a blackberry - my hospital provides software for Android and iphones but not blackberry - only suggestion I could make is that Rim either alters the programme so that it can be transferred disc to disc (USB or otherwise) or it provides a software install CD with the phone. All a bit dissappointing really but thanks for all your help.Amit

Forums Veteran III

That's odd because I have the same file on my flash drive and it works with no problem. I've used it on computers with no network connections too. I also have it on CD and backed up on a network drive. My coworkers have been using this for years on various system with no problem. The link I provided you, I used it to install the software on my own computer.

Hi, Just tried the download on 2 dfferent usb drives and 2 different PC's (not internet connected) - still getting the same error message I'm afraid (used the dropbox download you gave me.) Apologies for taking so long to get back. Thanks for helping anyway. Do you think it is woth contacting RIM to let them know. Bit of a shame if this continues as I may need to think about another phone when I upgrade again and I am really loathe to swap over to an Iphone (bleughh !)