Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to get email thru WiFi without a Bb Data Plan from Provider

Can a blackberry Torch 9800 be configured to connect to mail servers online and download email via wifi instead of getting it through the cellular connection. I am travelling and have SIM and WiFI but no Blackberry data plan from provider. So I want to use wifi to receive and send email.

Can this be done and how?

Thanks!

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: How to get email thru WiFi without a Bb Data Plan from Provider

As far as I know, without the blackberry data plan it won't work.

So, how does Blackberry expect me to get my email when I am travelling? I can't possibly pay for a plan every time I go away for 2 weeks somewhere.

When I travel, I get a SIM from a local provider - I get a new phone number and some data access. So I do most of the things on WiFi and I can call people.

Are there any ways I can get email without a BB plan??

Thanks again,

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Let me check just to be sure.

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You both are correct.

You must have the BlackBerry data plan on your home account.
When you travel, you will roam on other mobile providers. Turn your wifi on when at a hotspot, and mobiile network > data services on. When off of wifi, ueen your data services off not to consume expensive roaming data.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

JSanders - Thanks ... but can I clarify something?

I do not roam at all when I am travelling. I take out my original provider's SIM and I buy another SIM in the place I travel to and put that into my BB. So I have no connection whatsoever with the home/original provider.

I do have limited data service from my place of visit provider whom I bought the SIM from - that has data included but not much.

I can get WiFi, but what I want to know is how to get my emails to come from the WiFi connection instead of from my BB server.

Can you clarify?

And I welcome anyone who have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

your emails, either by going through cellular network of WiFi, will always go through BIS, meaning always through the RIM servers.

in other words, whatever your connection is, you need at first the right to go through the RIM servers.

what happens is this:

you are connected to the BIS servers thanks to the service books.

• the service books are pushed by your carrier, when you have a BlackBerry Data Plan.
  • Those service books are the right for you to use the RIM servers.

if you go to another country, and use a local SIM card :

• sometimes you will keep your service books on your device (= the one from your real carrier at home), and in that case, you will be able to use your local SIM card for phone calls, and WiFi for data. The world is wonderful, and 42 is the answer to the meaning of life.
  • sometimes you will lose your service books on your device, and in the case, you lose the right to use the RIM servers. Even using WiFi you will not be able to do much apart from browsing the web. Even inserting your home SIM card will not bring back the service books, and you will be able to regain the service books the day you land foot on your home land.

That being said, I remember reading many posts on how to keep the service books even when swapping SIM cards. Unfortunately, I was not interested so I did not read carefully and cannot remember anything about that.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

phuile wrote:

So, how does Blackberry expect me to get my email when I am travelling? I can't possibly pay for a plan every time I go away for 2 weeks somewhere.

why not ?

You are saying "I pay when I am at home, but I do not pay when I am abroad". It does not make much sense.

Someone has to pay RIM for the provided service, either your home carrier, or your local carrier.

when you go abroad :

• either you pay for roaming fees (these can be not so expensive if your carrier has good partnerships with the carriers in the country you visit)
  • either you pay a local data plan (Pay As You Go contracts for instance)
  • and of course what I wrote in my previous post, but I find this more to be a deviance than the norm, and a trick to either your carrier.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

I am focus about solving the problem, not about payment.

I am paying the other carrier for the SIM data etc etc. so I am not *not* paying.

If raoming fee is not so unreasonable, I would be paying my home carrier when I go abroad. It is unreasonable that for one connection to get emails, I have to pay the equivalent of 1/4 of a whole month of service.

Anyway, there is no problem with my colleagues with iPhone and other phones doing this through WiFi.

I am looking to solve this problem - so if anyone has any good suggestions and have this experience, please help.

Thanks.

Contributor

Sorry I would also like to add one thing - all BB plan offered to me is for at least 12 months. That's why I cannot have a bb plan when travelling.