Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

How to import e-mail account settings from MS Outlook?

Hi.

I've bought my first Blackberry a couple of days ago and I've been having problems with accessing my university e-mail account via Blackberry.

The thing is that the university e-mail system uses some non-standard settings (such as IMAP and POP ports and some non-standard encryption). And I can't find where to set up these advanced options on my Blackberry (Curve 9300).

The university tech support says the following about using the university e-mail with Blackberry:

"Reports indicate that a successful way to configure a Blackberry is to first configure Outlook or Outlook Express for IMAP/SSL access to Hermes (see Email program settings for Hermes - Outlook or Outlook Express). The correct settings will then be autodetected and applied to the Blackberry."

The problem is that even though I set up the e-mail account in MS Outlook 2007, I don't know how to export these settings to my BB. Does anyone have an idea of how to do it? And it not, does anyone have an idea how I can change some of the more advanced settings (such as port numbers) manually?

Thx in advance for all replies Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: How to import e-mail account settings from MS Outlook?

from memory, go to the BIS website for your carrier and go to setup the account with email address and password.

It should come back saying it cannot find the settings and offer to import from outlook
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How to import e-mail account settings from MS Outlook?

You can also try setting up your University email account via your carrier's BIS site online using your computer.  It should be able to detect most of the settings automatically, but if not, you can go into your advanced settings and make the changes manually.

If you need help finding your carrier's BIS site, you can try using Google to search for "carrier name BIS"  where carrier name is your carrier's name.  Or, feel free to post that info here and we can direct you to the correct site.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!