Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BB Pearl 8120 smartphone

How to open BB .ipd file on computer

I have a BB Pearl 8120 smartphone. I have used the desktop manager to 
download a back up of my phone onto my computer but I can't find a way to open 
the file to view the contents, apparently it is an .ipd file. Can you help 
me?

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to open BB .ipd file on computer

The backup IPD files are not meant to "open" on your PC for viewing.

They are meant to be backups, for safekeeping and restoring the backed up data to your handheld BlackBerry. The IPD files are used in Desktop Manager.

There is not a good software to view and/or edit the IPD data on the PC. There was a software named ABC Amber which is no longer commercially available but you can get a limited free trial of the software at http://processtext.com/abcblackberry.html

So, what is it that you are needing to do?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: BB Pearl 8120 smartphone

I need to transfer all my text messages off my phone and store them securely somewhere, I'm just covering my back really, they may be needed for evidence and wanted to have a copy of them in case my phone was tampered with or stolen. The only option I can think of is to buy a new phone to use and transfer my sim card to keep the same number, then I can keep my current phone stored away somewhere safe!, as far as I can make out the texts are stored in the BB internal memory not the media card or sim card.

Out of interest, is it possible to connect any BB phone to my computer and have this back up restored onto it or is it phone specific? What about putting a BB back up onto a nokia or Iphone?

I also needed to transfer some voicemails to my computer but I go round this by using my digital camera in movie mode, putting my BB on speaker phone and ringing my answerphone to re-record them!! not sure if there is a better way I could have done this?

Look forward to hearing from you

Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I can print out all SMS messages that are on your IPD back up file. Contact me if interested. My services are free.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

There is a software package called MagicBerry, from MenaStep that will allow you to view several sections of the .ipd file on your PC. I've never tried to export, but the feature is there.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Rapanui21:

I have a large amount of information on the MemoPad application of my old BlackBerry 8330 Curve, which I have backed up using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6.0.  I need to access this data in a form other than on a Blackberry. For example, this contains a long list of serial numbers  which I need to provide to an insurance company.  The phone is not currently activated, so I cannot copy and paste this information into a series of Emails.

To be honest, I am surprised that this is even called "Desktop Software," since it does not resemble a desktop in any way (such as the Palm Desktop).  They really should call it "BackUp Software."

Also, on the device itself, is there a way that I can disable the password function? There is a small red lock next to it which prevents it from being changed.  This is not an enterprise version -- it was purchased and used with the Sprint Network.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

[ Edited ]

I can help you. Please provide me details of what you need extracted from the IPD file.

Mike

Edited content to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use.

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: bachlor business administration

kohlerkj wrote:

I have a BB Pearl 8120 smartphone. I have used the desktop manager to 
download a back up of my phone onto my computer but I can't find a way to open 
the file to view the contents, apparently it is an .ipd file. Can you help 
me?

http://www.advancedfileoptimizer.com/file-extension/ipd/

Just visit the above given link. This will help you in opening the desired .ipd file. Worked for me.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Dear Ann:

I found a file called MagicBerry.  I downloaded it from CNET, and it allowed me to open my ipd files, and to manipulate and use the data as needed.  Here is the link from CNET, or you can go to CNET and search for MagicBerry if you are particularly careful about opening a file from a stranger.

http://download.cnet.com/MagicBerry-Blackberry-IPD-Editor-and-Converter/3000-10743_4-10962130.html

Take good care,  Joe

My Device: Pearl
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thank you rapanui21, this is an amazing file.