Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

How to purge learned email addresses?

Somewhere in my Blackberry's email program is a function that remembers the email address of anyone who sends me an email. Does anyone know how to purge this information?

This feature has an unintended side effect of creating confusion when I compose an email message to someone in my contacts list, in that sometimes the remembered name of someone with the same name but a different email address pops up first, and if I am not careful, I can end up sending an email to the wrong person.

The problem is worsened by the fact that there is some malware out there that has gotten hold of my niece's address books and sends me spam with the names of people I know using bogus email addresses on Yahoo, and the email program offers these names when I am composing a message, sometimes before the contact record for the person I want to email to. For example, I have received a message sent by y5e4dd645c17c@yahoo.com using my daughter's name (let's call her Jane Smith). Even though this email address is nowhere in my contacts, when I start to compose a message to Jane Smith, the autocompletion shows two Jane Smiths, and I have to carefully check to ensure the address being used is janesmith@someserver.com and not the bogus address above.

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice on this.

Blackberry Bold 9650, Verizon, 6.0 Bundle 3084 (v6.0.0.719, Platform 4.4.0.560)

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How to purge learned email addresses?

Hello,

Please refer to this:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

There is at least one database that seems to apply to your situation...and you can clear individual databases using the procedure at the bottom of that KB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................