Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Swisscom
Accepted Solution

How to read your backup file

Hello,

I use a MacbookPro to back up data from the BlackBerry Bold.

There are tutorials to transfer all your back up to your new device and so on, but what happens when you simply want to read all the back up information on your computer?

There are so many new contacts in my blackberry that I would like to synchronise them with my Address book on the computer, but I can't even read the back up file on my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Orphise

Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: How to read your backup file

Unfortunately, that is not possible with the BlackBerry backup files. They can only be restored to a BlackBerry device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Grameenphone

That's very bad! Smiley Sad
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Natively, the backup files are indeed intended for only one purpose...as the source of restore to a BB device. But, there are actually several 3rd party IPD/BBB file extractors that will extract the data and translate it into human-readable format. I'm not sure if it will do what you need, nor am I sure that it's even possible with MAC at all (the tools I've heard of work on PC), but a few seconds searching the Internet for applicable computer-based apps may well reveal some useful results for you.

Further, based on what the OP stated, the desired intent is completely different from backup...what is desired is synchronization, which is a different process. Refer:

• KB19148 How to synchronize organizer data in Microsoft Office for Mac between the BlackBerry smartphone and a Mac computer using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Do those apps even work anymore? I tried a few in the past and they didn't work and had no support because the companies had gone out of business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I've never actually needed to try them, but have read about some having good results recently with some of them. I don't know which are which though...hence recommending doing a search and trying out the results to see if any work for the stated need.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hey sdgardne, I don't use a MAC. Im a PC user. But those 3rd party softwares didnt work out, as they couldn't access the .bbb file entirely. See my problem here. Read message 1.
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Cannot-access-my-backup-bbb-files-of-Bb9650/m...
Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

rup831 wrote:
Hey sdgardne, I don't use a MAC. Im a PC user.

Yes...but the OP of this thread is on MAC...hence...

rup831 wrote:
 But those 3rd party softwares didnt work out, as they couldn't access the .bbb file entirely. See my problem here. Read message 1.
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Cannot-access-my-backup-bbb-files-of-Bb9650/m...

I will gladly take a look, though it appears you already have excellent help there...I can add nothing. Note carefully please that any issues with those 3rd party apps should be addressed by the developers of those apps...

Good luck!

Contributor

okay. thanks a lot. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

As long as your bbb or IPD file is not encrypted and your BB phone does not run OS10, I can help you read your bbb or IPD file. Send me a private message with your email contact information. Mike