Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to save contacts?

Hi there

I currently have a 8310 company mobile but am due to leave my current employer so is there any way I can copy my contacts to allow me to transfer them to my new phone. My laptop is also the company's so that will be going back very shortly as well.

Many thanks for any assistance anyone is able to give.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How to save contacts?

Hello,

First -- I recommend verifying your current company policy concerning taking their data with you when you leave. Most companies have policies against such actions.

As a company device, are you on BES? If so, then it's simplest to copy your contacts using your desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook, Notes, etc.) to a file that you can then import into your new PIM (either on your personal PC or your new company PC).

If your company is not on BES, then you can perform a full backup with your PC, creating an IPD file that will contain your BB information:

• KB12487 How to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone

Then you'd copy that IPD file and use it again with DTM on a different PC to perform a restore to your new BB:

• KB10339 How to restore data from a backup file to a BlackBerry smartphone

Note that this method is strictly for BB to BB...if your new device is not a BB, then the IPD file will be useless.

You may also be able (I've never actually tried this on) export from your BB to a CSV file:

• KB11194 How to import contacts from an CSV file to the BlackBerry device

There is also a facility to export to a PST file:

• KB03406 Export PIM information from the BlackBerry device to an Outlook personal folder

As you can see, there are many options -- but that company policy will be the primary guiding factor I believe.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................