Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to transfer EVERYTHING from one Curve to another Curve

Hi,

My daughter has a Curve for almost a years now. The service is through Verizon. Just this past week a few keys got stuck. Verizon decided the phone was defective and sent her a new phone overnight. That was great.

Now for the hard part. She's been backing up everything to her PC. One question we have is: Does EVERYTHING truely get backed up or are some apps are data not backed up? She needs to be able to sync her new Curve, once she activates it (which she hasn't yet till she understands the process to restore everything), and get everything she had before on the original Curve.

The issue is that we've gotten differing opinions from Verizon as to exactly how much is backed up and what isn't. So I felt that most likely the people on this forum would be more knowledgable.

Some more info. She doesn't use Outlook on her PC. So is her calendar still baked up in such a way that it cane be restored on the nw unit? Also, what about her Messenger? She mentioned something about the Messenger is tied to a PIN, which is tied to a phone and not a user. Is this true? I assumed (since i am not a Blackberry user myself) is that the Messenger would be similar to AOL's AIM, where the username/screen name is tied to a specific user and not a device. So how does she transfer her Messenger info?

She needs to transfer her contacts, calendar, messenger, and the PIN/password app (not sure what this is except she said that came installed on the Blackberry).

Thanks in advance for your help. This is very stressful for my daughter. She loved her Blackberry but now has to go through this process of transferring her "life" and Verizon is not very helpful.

Thanks again,

Steve

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: How to transfer EVERYTHING from one Curve to another Curve

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Since she has been packing up her data, she should be fine.

You can use the Switch device wizard in the desktop software to transfer over the data. (device to device)

If there are any third party applications, you can restore through the application loader. Some may

require a re-install, as you may have two different operating systems.

The messenger application will have to be reinstalled, as the PIN is unique. I will attach the manual,

to see if the contacts can remain, or will have to be reset.

Let me know what desktop software version your are using and I will get you a manual.

In the meantime here is the procedure:

What it is:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05421&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

How it works:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16291&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Blackberrry messsenger manual:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=SWDXIMEN-001002&sliceId...

Let me know the version of Desktop software ( bring up the program and the version is on the bottom middle of the

program window).

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 11-08-2008 05:46 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

I also just got a new Curve and transferred everything from my old one via Desktop Manager. Now I fund myself with a bunch of double Calendar entries. Even though I deleted them manually one by one, at synchronization it wants to put them all back in. Can I just clear the decks on my Bberry (how?) and just import Outlook Calendar once before resetting it to synch?
New Contributor

Hi,

This is great info. I am still reading it all. But the first thing I noticed is that you need to connect both Curves to the PC. Verizon sent us a new Curve to replace the defective unit, but they didn't send a battery. Is there any way to do this without both phones being connected simultaneously?

I would expect that if you back up phone A to the PC, then disconnect phone A. Insert phone B and then transfer all data from the PC to phone B. Is this not possible?

If not, I guess, we need to borrow a battery from another person's phone for a few mins.

Thanks,

Steve

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I would go to my local carriers store, and buy an OEM blackberry battery. ($20,00) Use it for the switch and return it.

Batteries are models specific, and borrowing one could damage the phone. If the new Curve doesn't have a battery,

why not keep the new battery in it, and return the old one if you have to. If you don't have to, you have a spare.

Is your daughters phone an 8300 series phone, I'll show you a pic of the correct battery

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 11-08-2008 05:47 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Yes it is the 8300 series. BUt wjy can't she borrow a battery from a friend who also has a Curve? We know the batteries are device-specific. Thats how we assume we can use the battery from her roomate who has a Pearl. She is asking her other friends who have Curves. Wouldn't that work better than going through the hastle of buying a returning a battery? I guess we can do that as a last resort.

Her battery says C-S2. The Pearl from her roomate is a C-M2. We won't try that in her Curve.

thanks,

Steve

Guru I

Hi,

As long as it is this battery, you can feel free to borrow it. I just am leeery of putting an unknown battery in a brand new device.

Thanks,

Did you need the desktop software manaual, for what version?