Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

How to turn off apps?

My torch has gone from lasting 16 hours to lasting less than 4 hours, almost overnight...  My guess is that one or more battery-hungry apps are doing this to me.  How do i find what is running in the background and cancel it?  thanks

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: How to turn off apps?

Welcome to the Forums, jpainter!

To see what apps are running, press and hold the BB menu button (to the left of the trackpad) for a second or two.  This will bring up the "application switcher," which shows you all the apps currently running on your device.  There are several that "have" to be running at all times, including the phone, browser, main messages folder, home screen and BB Messenger.  Everything else can be selected and closed, meaning scroll to any other app that's running, select it and make sure it's closed and stopped running.   Use the BB menu button in the app to select "exit" or "close."   You'll be able to tell if it's still running by following the first sentence of this paragraph.

Please post back if you have questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
My Device: Torch 9800

Thanks for the help...  That was it..   It was running Google Maps in the background.  I must have clicked it accidentally as I haven't used it in months...

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Good deal.  Glad you got it sorted out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."