Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

How to up grade OS 7.0 to 7.1 on my Torch 9810?

Is there an upgrade available for the Torch 9810 from 7.0 to 7.1 yet?<br><br>- taylor
Regular Contributor
My Device: NONE
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: How to up grade OS 7.0 to 7.1 on my Torch 9810?

Yes, you can upgrade to 7.1. Here is a link to the os released by telenor: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...1C19CF64.node1

There are lots of detailed discussions about how to do this here as well as on blackberryforums and crackberry, but the short version is install DM and make sure it will connect with your phone. Then install the OS, being sure to reboot your pc afterwards. Then you have some choices. You can manually remove the vendor files (one or two), start DM and it should see the upgrade and offer to install it on the phone. If you want, you can wipe your phone first using a tool like bbsak or bbhtool. You can also shrink the OS first using bbhtool, then start DM and it will offer to install the OS on your phone.

When I originally upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1, I wiped the phone using bbsak. I did not wipe it going to 284 or 342, but I did shrink it both times with bbhtool.

These procedures normally work very well, but be forewarned that sometime "stuff" happens. Good luck!

Samsung Galaxy S5
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice darylm! What is DM?
New Contributor

I went to the site and it said it couldn't be found. Smiley Sad
Regular Contributor

DM is the BlackBerry Desktop Software. Do you have it installed?

Here is a fresh link to the download: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=A5585A4D4B12277FEE5CAD088061.... If this doesn't work, go in through http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp and follow the links to the telenor downloads.

I'll stress that this is not complicated, but you should be sure of what you're doing before you try the upgrade.

Samsung Galaxy S5
New Contributor

Is Telenor Norway a phone company? Do you think it will work if I have AT&T?
New Contributor

Oh, and yes I have DM ^^
Regular Contributor

Yes, Telenor is a phone company, one of the companies that has released 7.1.0.342. RIM does not produce OSes for each service provider. They produce one version and service providers are left to decide if they want their subscribers to use it or not. Some service providers are proactive and others are very slow to release new versions. I'm on Bell Mobility and I've used OSes from Bell, T-Mobile and Cellcom Wireless Israel. (Telenor hadn't released it yet when I installed the Cellcom version, but there are no differences between the two anyway.)

I haven't heard of any issues with this release on AT&T, but I don't pay attention to the 9810 because I have a 9900. If you want to look into it further, check here or else go to blackberryforums or crackberry and see what people are saying there. If you install the Telenor OS, you can always go back to the original OS if you have issues.

I have had no issues whatsoever with any of the OSes, other than the original 7.0 which had terrible battery life. I upgrade to the latest official release, irrespective of what service provider releases it. I also shrink the OS when I install it.

Samsung Galaxy S5
New Contributor

OK, I downloaded the Telecom Norway OS, but every time I hook up my BB, it doesn't do anything. I already rebooted my PC so that it can make changes, but I don't know what to do next.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Did you remove the vendor.xml files? If you don't do that, it won't load.

Samsung Galaxy S5