Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to use Blackberry as Wireless Router?

New Contributor

has anyone used a cradlepoint router and their blackberry tour 9630 to create a personal wifi hotspot?

i would be curious if anyone has gotten this to work...and if verizon is charging extra for this...

http://www.cradlepoint.com/

http://knowledgebase.cradlepoint.com/questions/97/How+to+Connect+a+Blackberry+to+a+CradlePoint+Route...

New Contributor

also would be curious if anyone used the software at tether.com to use your unlimited data plan to create your own wifi hotspot?

[ Edited ]

please let me know if anyone has experience with this...

http://tether.com/blackberry/

New Contributor

Re: also would be curious if anyone used the software at tether.com to use your unlimited data plan to create your own wifi hotspot?

this tether.com blackberry app called tether available for download at blackberry app world works great with my verizon blackberry tour 9630 connected to my laptop via usb cable for internet access anywhere. it also works with bluetooth.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: also would be curious if anyone used the software at tether.com to use your unlimited data plan to create your own wifi hotspot?

Don't waste your money on Tether.  Your BlackBerry phone can tether to your laptop wherever there's a network connection, for free.  In the top left corner of Desktop Manager is everything you need to do it.........and it's already included with your phone.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

ok thanks but doesnt verizon charge for the data plan if you use desktop manager? with Tether its all free as part of your unlimited blackberry internet connection. 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

true, I think for verizon they di charge, for t-mobile and sprint they dont
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: DIGI

RIM is getting left behind in terms of customer's satisfaction. A small features like wireless router also not available.

Nor wonder google's android and apple iphone is capturing majority of the market shares. Blackberry is going to join WindowsMobile in the grave eventually if RIM don't give what the user want and needs.

I'm going to ditch my useless RIM-device and go to android or iOS
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

The tether software does not create a wifi hotspot.  It creates a connection point that can only be accessed using their software installed on a pc or mac.  For example, you cannot connect to it using the WiFi on your android device or any other WiFi-only client.

My Device: 9700

I am quite surprised that BB still does not have this option available. All other phones seem to have it. Its quite frustrating to carry yet another device for a hotspot.