Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

How to use calendar & contacts

I am a brand new convert from palm to BB.  Palm's desktop was straightforward in terms of using the calendar and contact.

1.  What is a good program to use for a calendar & contact? 

2.  How do I sync the palm info to BB?  I am searching the net and cannot find anything.

3.  Anyway to keep/mark a contact as private like yuo can in Plam?

4.  Is there anyway I can just open on the desktop a calendar or contact and type in the various info vs. inputting direct into the BB?

Your help is appreciated!! 

Re: How to use calendar & contacts

I am also finding this difficult to use - I got the BB especially for the calendar and contacts.  I wanted to be able to sync my BB to my PC so I could always have an updated schedule with me.  I was also hoping to be able to use a desktop calendar to enter all my contacts into and have it sync to my bb.

I currently dont have a desktop calendar, and I don't have Outlook - how is this supposed to work?

My bf has a Samsung Jack and it came with software to download to his computer. He was able to type all his contacts into it and have it sync to his Jack, same for his calendar.

This is not what i expected it to be - wishin I had gone with the Jack 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830

Your post could have been mine 3 months ago when I made that huge leap from my Palm T/X. I have Outlook 2003 on my desktop, which is key in making the transition. I re-formatted my Palm to sync with Outlook rather than Palm Desktop. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager uses Outlook, so your BlackBerry sync then transfers data from Outlook to BlackBerry device. Using Outlook you can input data on your desktop. (I'll have to go back to your thread to check your other issues.)
Phil
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830

The Calendar privacy feature on the BlackBerry is completely different from the Palm. An appt marked as private does not disappear on your device. If you print a calendar the private appt is listed something like "Private Appointment." I do not use this feature on my BB. If your concern is for identifying a category of appts and printing that category exclusively, that is possible - but using a paticular trick that I had to figure out. If you'd like, let me know how you wish to use "privacy" and I'll suggest a solution if I canSmiley Happy
Phil
New Contributor

Phil:

Thanks for your help.  What I want to keep private is sensative information like credit cards or banking infomation.  Is there anyway to make it dissappear from the contact list like on a Palm?

This is just in case I lose the phone or a friend plays with it. 

Thanks.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got my BlackBerry Curve 8330 (Verizon) yesterday.  Its a first for me, but I believe I have most things figured out.  I, too, am looking for a calendar to sync to.  I use Outlook Express which doesn't have a calendar included.

My real problem is this.  I am trying to use the Application Loader in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  I get the message that the program doesn't have the device software for my device.  When I go to updates the 8330 isn't listed.  Does anyone know if an earlier version would work.  I've searched the BlackBerry site and can't find a link to ask a question. 

Message Edited by graygrannyonate on 08-13-2008 12:10 AM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Graygrannyonate,

What app are you trying to load? Did you download a file from a site?

Please let us know!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter