08-04-2009 04:46 PM - edited 11-04-2009 10:41 AM
The web-based application loader for BlackBerry devices is designed to streamline the software update process. It can be used to simply update your device software or to completely reload from scratch your entire set of device software. Finally, it can also be used to tweak your software by simply adding or removing some software or language packages.
The purpose of this document is to guide users through the process of using the web-based software loader and to familiarize you with what you might see.
1) A BlackBerry
2) A compatible USB cable
3) Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running
4) An internet connection
*Note* Before we get started, for added security, you may want to download and install BlackBerry Desktop Manager and create a backup of your data using these instructions. Here is how you restore your data from a backup file.
1) Open Internet Explorer and browse to http://www.blackberry.com/update
From the webpage above....
BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Professional Software Users
If your BlackBerry® smartphone is integrated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry® Professional Software, your IT department may have plans for updating your smartphone’s software already.
2) 2) If you do not see a button labeled “check for updates” you may find a bar at the top of your screen under the URL line (outlined in image with a red box) which you need to click on to install the ActiveX control.
3) Click the button Check for Updates
4) Your screen should look something like the above as the loader attempts to connect to your device. At this point you may be prompted to download a file. You can choose to “run” the file and allow follow the onscreen instructions to install the file. Bookmark this page, restart your computer and return to Step 1 when your computer restarts.
5) Next you will see a screen that shows you options for the device software package you can load on your device. The preferred option is usually the best choice.
6) *** This is a critical stage of the load. ***
Back up Options and Device data Options settings can be found here
· Please triple check that the settings you want are in place here.
· Most people will want to click the “Back up device data automatically during the installation process” checkbox at this point to preserve their data on the device (calendar, contacts etc)
Choose this option if you want to specify which languages and applications you would like installed.
· There is typically no need to modify this as the defaults will work just fine.
· Take a look to make sure that your downloaded applications are chosen if you have any.
· To ensure something is installed or stays installed, check the box beside it.
· If you would like it uninstalled simply remove the check from the box beside it.
7) Press next when your selections are complete.
8) This is your choice – provide your email address to be notified if there are new updates for your device. Press next when complete.
9) This is the final step of the load. Make sure to read what is in the summary to ensure that everything looks good. Click Finish to proceed.
10) The load will proceed from here – click the box that says “Show details” if you would like to see what the loader is doing. * Do not disconnect the device during this process for any reason *.
11) When the load is complete you will see that your device will restart and then come back up. At that point it is best to follow through the setup wizard and then you are ready to go!
For even more information on upgrading, check out our BlackBerry Software Update Support page.
thanks for reading
Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!